What is the symbol of an integral operator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the symbol of an integral operator and its relationship to the symbol of a differential operator. The conversation also mentions alternative notations for the symbol and provides a resource for further reading. The speaker clarifies that they are not referring to the notation, but rather the symbol as a polynomial in the context of pseudo-differential operators.
Crot
Could someone please give a definition what the symbol of an integral operator is?
Does it have asymptotic expansions as symbols of differential operators?

I know about symbols of differential operators but, shame on me, heard nothing about the symbol of an integral operator. Any help in this direction will be kindly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !

I understand that you are aware of the symbol for the differential operator : [itex]\frac{d^{\nu}}{dx^{\nu}}[/itex] or [itex]D^\nu[/itex] where the degree of derivation [itex]\nu[/itex] can be a non-integer number as well, thanks to the Riemann-Liouville transform (i.e. the fractional calculus)
This is extended to the integral operator [itex]\frac{d^{-\nu}}{dx^{-\nu}}[/itex] or [itex]D^{-\nu}[/itex] and the n-fold integral [itex]D^{-n}[/itex] in case of integer [itex]n[/itex] instead of real [itex]\nu[/itex]
So, I think that the symbol is common for derivation and integration.
One can find alternative notations (but not on common use) on section 5 of the paper "La dérivation fractionnaire" and a short bibliography is provided on last page. http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

Thank you for the answer! But, it is not what I meant. I did not mean the notation but
the symbol of a differential operator which can be expressed as a polynomial. You know, when one works with pseudo-differential operators, for example, such kind of symbols appear in quantity. But, I heard nothing about the symbol of a integral operator in this context. I hope I did make myself clearer.

Related to What is the symbol of an integral operator?

What is the symbol of an integral operator?

The symbol of an integral operator is ∫ (the integral sign).

What does an integral operator do?

An integral operator is used in mathematics to calculate the area under a curve. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving continuous changes or flux.

How is an integral operator different from a derivative operator?

An integral operator calculates the total area under a curve, while a derivative operator calculates the rate of change of a function at a specific point.

What are the properties of an integral operator?

Some properties of an integral operator include linearity, where the integral of a sum is equal to the sum of integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that integration and differentiation are inverse operations.

What are some common applications of integral operators?

Integral operators are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as calculating work done in physics, determining probabilities in statistics, and solving differential equations in mathematics.