What is the tension along wire 1 after wire 2 is cut?

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension along wire 1 and wire 2 immediately after wire 2 is cut in a system consisting of two masses connected by ropes. The conversation includes equations for equilibrium and the attempt to find the tension and determine the minimum angle for the masses to remain at rest. It is ultimately determined that the tension can be calculated using the assumption that the centripetal acceleration is zero and that the maximum angle for the mass to remain at rest is when the tension is equivalent to the maximum friction force.
Bestfrog
Considering the figure, (a) what is the tension along the wire 1?
(b) What is the tension along wire 1 immediately after the wire 2 is cut?

Now, if I put myself in a reference frame with y-axis along ##\vec{g}## (with inverse direction) the part (a) is $$\begin{cases} T_1\cdot cos\theta -mg=0 \\ -T_1 \cdot sin\theta + T_2 =0 \end{cases}$$

So ##T_1=\frac{mg}{cos\theta}##.
For part (b), because I consider the infinitesimal time after ##T_2=0## I can approximate ##T_1=\frac{mg}{cos\theta}##, so the same in part (a).

Now, if I use a different reference frame, with y-axis along the wire 1(with same direction of ##T_1##), I have $$\begin{cases} T_1 -mg cos\theta -T_2 sin\theta=0 \\ -T_2 cos\theta + mg sin\theta=0 \end{cases}$$

For part (b) I can approximate ##T_1 \text{as} T_1= mg cos\theta## (since the centripetal acceleration is still 0 for the first infinitesimal times).

My problem is that I have two different tensions, and it is not correct(?)

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 321
Physics news on Phys.org
Bestfrog said:
For part (b), because I consider the infinitesimal time after T2=0T2=0T_2=0 I can approximate T1=mgcosθT1=mgcosθT_1=\frac{mg}{cos\theta}, so the same in part (a).
This is not correct. The acceleration changes and therefore so must the force balance. Of course, this is in the ideal approximation where the system responds instantly.

Bestfrog said:
Considering the figure, (a) what is the tension along the wire 1?
(b) What is the tension along wire 1 immediately after the wire 2 is cut?

Now, if I put myself in a reference frame with y-axis along ##\vec{g}## (with inverse direction) the part (a) is $$\begin{cases} T_1\cdot cos\theta -mg=0 \\ -T_1 \cdot sin\theta + T_2 =0 \end{cases}$$

So ##T_1=\frac{mg}{cos\theta}##.
For part (b), because I consider the infinitesimal time after ##T_2=0## I can approximate ##T_1=\frac{mg}{cos\theta}##, so the same in part (a).
As Orudruin pointed out, the equations set up for equilibrium are no longer valid if wire 2 is cut. The mass will accelerate.So you should write $$\begin{cases} T_1\cdot cos\theta -mg=ma_x \\ -T_1 \cdot sin\theta =ma_y \end{cases}$$

Well, I show you the original problem and the point where I stuck up.

1. The problem.
Referring to the picture below, a mass M stays on a surface with coefficient of static friction ##\mu##. This object is connected by a massless rope to an another mass m, that is in quiet thanks to a second massless rope (as shown in picture). What is the minimum ##\theta## for whom the mass M stays at rest immediately after the second rope is cut?

3. The attempt to a solution.
I wrote the free body diagrams for M and m.
Considering M $$\begin{cases} T_1 - f=0 \\ N- Mg=0 \end{cases}$$

Considering m (after rope 2 is cut) $$\begin{cases} -T_1 sin\theta = -m a_x \\ T_1 cos\theta -mg = -m a_y \end{cases}$$

Now, how can I continue? There are too much unknowns.

(If I knew what is ##a_{tot}## of object m I could conclude!)

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 322
I used the fact that ##a_{tot} = g sin\theta = \sqrt{a_x^2 + a_y^2}## and I solved it.

Bestfrog said:
There are too much unknowns.
No there are not. You have to find some relations that must be satisfied when the mass ##M## does not move. In particular, what is the relation between the tension in the string and the coefficient of friction and how is ##a_x## related to ##a_y##?

Orodruin said:
No there are not. You have to find some relations that must be satisfied when the mass ##M## does not move. In particular, what is the relation between the tension in the string and the coefficient of friction and how is ##a_x## related to ##a_y##?
Is it correct my assumption in post #5?

Bestfrog said:
Is it correct my assumption in post #5?
It should be, but please show your work and what you arrive at in the end.

Using that assumption I have that ##T=mgcos\theta##.

For the equilibrium of M I have ##T \le f_{max}=Mg \mu##, so ##\theta \ge arcos(\frac{M\cdot \mu}{m})## that should be correct.
(My only doubt was only about finding the tension)

Bestfrog said:
Using that assumption I have that ##T=mgcos\theta##.

For the equilibrium of M I have ##T \le f_{max}=Mg \mu##, so ##\theta \ge arcos(\frac{M\cdot \mu}{m})## that should be correct.
(My only doubt was only about finding the tension)
Yes, this is correct.

Just to point out that there is an easier way to arrive at the ##T = mg\cos(\theta)##. If you instead put your coordinate system at the ball such that one of the directions is along the string, then you know that the acceleration in that direction must be zero (no radial acceleration). The force equilibrium in that direction directly becomes ##T = mg\cos(\theta)## after projecting the gravitational force onto that direction.

Also note that cutting the string actually results in a smaller tension than before the string is cut. In other words, if it was not moving before, it will not move when the string is cut.

Bonus assignment: What is the maximal ##\theta## for which the mass will never move?

Likes Bestfrog

1. What is tension and how does it affect objects?

Tension is the force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled, stretched, or compressed. It is a type of force that occurs when an object is in a state of equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced. Tension can cause objects to deform or change shape, and it is an important concept in understanding the behavior of materials under stress.

2. What factors can affect the tension in an object?

The tension in an object can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the environment in which the object is placed. For example, a rubber band will experience different levels of tension depending on how much it is stretched and the temperature of its surroundings.

3. How is tension measured and expressed?

Tension is typically measured and expressed in units of force, such as Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). It can also be expressed as a stress, which is the force per unit area. For example, a rope that is pulling on an object with a force of 50 N has a tension of 50 N. Alternatively, if the same rope is pulling on an object with a surface area of 10 square meters, the tension can be expressed as 5 N/m2.

4. Can tension ever be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. Since tension is a type of force, it is always expressed as a positive value. However, the direction of tension can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the applied force. For example, if a rope is pulling on an object to the right, the tension in the rope will be positive. If the rope is pulling on an object to the left, the tension will be negative.

5. How does tension affect the stability of structures?

Tension plays a critical role in the stability of structures. If the tension in a structure is greater than its ability to resist it, the structure may fail or collapse. For example, a suspension bridge relies on the tension in its cables to support the weight of the bridge deck and any vehicles crossing it. If the tension becomes too great, the cables could break, causing the bridge to collapse.