What is the Tension on a Spring Scale for an Object on an Incline?

In summary: So the scale would simply read mgsin(theta).In summary, when an object is on an incline and attached to a Newton spring scale, the scale will read the force of the object's weight multiplied by the sine of the angle of the incline. This is because the net force in the x-direction is zero and the force exerted by the spring scale balances out the force of gravity acting on the object. The spring scale is not attached to the incline, but to a wall behind it, and its purpose is to measure the force exerted by the object's weight on the incline.
saber1357

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand how these Newton's laws work, specifically with an object on an incline.
If a 5.00kg object is attached to a Newton spring scale on an incline (incline makes 30 degrees with the ground), what reading is the scale giving?

Homework Equations

Fx = m*g*sin(theta)
Fy = n - m*g*cos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the object is not accelerating upward, the netforce will equal zero. And I can solve for the force in the x direction. But how can I use these numbers to find the tension on the spring scale?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 2 forces in the x-direction... mgsin(theta) and the force the spring exerts (and this is what the spring scale reads)...

the two forces balance each other.

So I can simply ignore everything else, solve for the force in the x direction and what the spring reads is opposite of that?

saber1357 said:
So I can simply ignore everything else, solve for the force in the x direction and what the spring reads is opposite of that?

yes, I believe so. The object and the spring scale are both on the incline right? If that's the case then the spring scale simply reads mgsin(theta).

is the spring scale attached to the incline?

It's not attached to the incline, but a wall directly behind it. I believe that if the spring scale wasn't attached to anything, then there would be no purpose for it.

saber1357 said:
It's not attached to the incline, but a wall directly behind it. I believe that if the spring scale wasn't attached to anything, then there would be no purpose for it.

yes, that's true.

Related to What is the Tension on a Spring Scale for an Object on an Incline?

What is Newton's First Law and how is it applied?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This law is applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and even sports. For example, when a soccer ball is kicked, it will continue to move until it is stopped by an external force, such as the friction of the ground.

How does Newton's Second Law explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object, and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the lower its acceleration will be for the same amount of force.

What is the significance of Newton's Third Law in everyday life?

Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This law is significant in everyday life as it explains why we feel a force when we push or pull on an object. It is also the principle behind many technologies, such as rockets and jet engines, where the thrust generated by the engine is the reaction force to the action of hot gases being expelled.

How do Newton's Laws apply to circular motion?

Newton's Laws can also be applied to circular motion, as seen in objects moving in a circular path, such as a Ferris wheel or a satellite orbiting the Earth. The First Law explains why objects move in a circular path at a constant speed, the Second Law explains the relationship between centripetal force, mass, and acceleration, and the Third Law explains the equal and opposite reaction forces between the object and the centripetal force.

What are some real-life examples of Newton's Laws of Motion?

There are countless real-life examples of Newton's Laws of Motion, some of which include: a car accelerating when the gas pedal is pressed (Second Law), a book staying on a table until an external force is applied (First Law), a rocket launching into space (Third Law), and a person slipping and falling on a wet floor (First Law).