What is the true way to determine time parameters from semilog graph?

In summary, the experimental data describe T2-relaxation of the nuclei in the sample of interest. The experimental data obey bi-exponential dependence: I = I1*exp(-t/T2_1) + I2*exp(-t/T2_2), where I is current intensity, I1 and I2 are intensities which represent fractions of two T2 components - T2_1 and T2_2. The purpose is to calculate T2_1 and T2_2. To calculate T2_1 and T2_2, I fit bi-exponential equation mentioned above to experimental data points. However, to ensure that calculated T2 values are true, I'd like
Leonid92
TL;DR Summary
What is the true way to determine time parameters T2 from semilog graph?
Hi all,
I have experimental nuclear magnetic resonance data that describe T2-relaxation of the nuclei in the sample of interest. The experimental points obey bi-exponential dependence: I = I1*exp(-t/T2_1) + I2*exp(-t/T2_2), where I is current intensity, I1 and I2 are intensities which represent fractions of two T2 components - T2_1 and T2_2. The purpose is to calculate T2_1 and T2_2. To calculate T2_1 and T2_2, I fit bi-exponential equation mentioned above to experimental data points. But in order to ensure that calculated T2 values are true, I'd like to build semilog graph. For this, I take natural logarithm of experimental intensities, and thus the vertical axis in the graph is now in ln(I). Then, in obtained semilog graph, I need to divide points into two parts: first part of points will be fitted by linear equation y1 = C1 - t/T2_1, and the second part of points will be fitted by linear equation y2 = C2 - t/T2_2. And here I have two variants of how to do this fitting. The first variant is just to fit each part of data points with linear equation with corresponding initial guesses. And the second variant is the following: first, I fit the second part of points with equation y2 = C2 - t/T2_2, i.e. 7 points as you can see in the attached images. Thus I found C2 and T2_2 from fit. Then, using equation y2 = C2 - t/T2_2, I find ln(I) values for time values corresponding to the first part of points (i.e. first 3 points as you can see in the attached images). After that, I subtract these extrapolated ln(I) values from first three experimental ln(I) values. Let's call these new values as ln(I)1, ln(I)2, ln(I)3. Finally, I fit these 3 points with equation y1 = C1 - t/T2_1 and find the parameters C1 and T2_1. Could you please tell me, which variant of calculating T2 values is true? Please find attached two images which show the difference between two mentioned methods of calculating T2 values.

Attachments

• Graph1.png
    Graph1.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Graph2.png
    Graph2.png
    2 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no “true” or “false” way to fit a curve. You just need to check how good the fit is and how sensitive your parameters are to the noise.

I don't think this can be done easily using a graph unless T1 and T2 are very different. Otherwise, I would use a least squares fit to the presumed functionality. There are tons of easy-to-use software available to do this, such as Kaleidagraph and Excel.

Likes Leonid92

1. What is a semilog graph?

A semilog graph is a type of graph that uses a logarithmic scale on one axis and a linear scale on the other. This type of graph is often used to display data that spans a wide range of values.

2. How do you determine the time parameters from a semilog graph?

To determine the time parameters from a semilog graph, you need to first identify the logarithmic axis, which is typically the y-axis. Then, you can use the scale on this axis to determine the time intervals between data points. You can also use the linear axis, typically the x-axis, to determine the corresponding time values for each data point.

3. What is the significance of using a semilog graph to determine time parameters?

A semilog graph allows for a more accurate representation of data that spans a wide range of values. This is particularly useful in scientific research, where data can vary greatly in magnitude. By using a semilog graph, you can more easily visualize and analyze data that would be difficult to interpret on a traditional linear graph.

4. Can you use a semilog graph to determine time parameters for any type of data?

Yes, a semilog graph can be used to determine time parameters for any type of data as long as the data can be plotted on a logarithmic scale. However, it is important to note that a semilog graph may not be the most appropriate graph for all types of data and other types of graphs, such as a scatter plot or bar graph, may be more suitable for certain types of data.

5. Are there any limitations to using a semilog graph to determine time parameters?

One limitation of using a semilog graph is that it may not accurately represent data that has a non-linear relationship. In these cases, a different type of graph may be more appropriate. Additionally, interpreting data from a semilog graph may be more challenging for individuals who are not familiar with logarithmic scales.