What is the validity of this electrical circuit?

In summary: Where did they come from?In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit and the use of the node voltage method to determine if the circuit is valid or invalid. The conversation also includes calculations for various power dissipations in the circuit. The accuracy of the calculations is questioned, and it is noted that a negative potential across a current source indicates energy absorption.
GreenPrint
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/771/captureuce.png

Homework Statement

Determine if the circuit is valid or invalid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please note which node I used as the ground node and which node I have labeled [itex]V_{1}[/itex]. By the node voltage method

[itex]\frac{V_{1}}{8} + 10 - 2 + \frac{V_{1} - 10}{5} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{13V_{1}}{40} + 6 = 0 [/itex]
[itex]\frac{13V_{1}}{40} = -6[/itex]
[itex]V_{1} = -\frac{240}{13} V[/itex]

[itex]I_{1} = \frac{V_{1}}{8} = -\frac{240}{13*8} = -\frac{30}{13} A[/itex]
[itex]I_{2} = \frac{V_{1}-10}{5} = \frac{\frac{-240}{13}-10}{5} = -\frac{74}{13}[/itex]
[itex]I_{3} = 10 + I_{2} = 10 + {-\frac{74}{13}} = \frac{56}{13}[/itex]

[itex]V = IR[/itex]
[itex]P = IV[/itex]
[itex]P = I^{2}R[/itex]

[itex]P_{8Ω} = I^{2}R = (-\frac{30}{13})^{2}8 = \frac{7200}{169}[/itex]
[itex]P_{5Ω} = I^{2}R = (-\frac{74}{13})^{2}5 = \frac{27380}{169}[/itex]
[itex]P_{2Ω} = I^{2}R = (\frac{56}{13})^{2}2 = \frac{6272}{169}[/itex]
[itex]P_{10V} = IV = \frac{56}{13}10 = \frac{560}{13}[/itex]
[itex]P_{2A} = \frac{240}{13}2 = IV = \frac{480}{13}[/itex]
[itex]P_{10A} = IV = 10{-\frac{240}{13}-\frac{74}{13}} = \frac{3140}{13}[/itex]

These don't add up to zero. I'm kind of confused as to when you are supposed to use a negative sign or not. I used a negative sign in the last calculation because the current is going from lower potential to higher potential. Thanks for nay help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first equation, the final term ##\frac{V_1 - 10}{5}## is not correct. The point where the 5Ω resistor terminates is not at 10V above reference since there's a series resistor of 2Ω in the path. You have two nodes to deal with.

Last edited:
Hi gneill,

Why can't I count the node where the 10 volt source, 5 ohm resistor, and 10 Amp source meet to be 10 volts?

GreenPrint said:
Hi gneill,

Why can't I count the node where the 10 volt source, 5 ohm resistor, and 10 Amp source meet to be 10 volts?

You could if the reference node was at the bottom of the 10V source. But it isn't. There's a 2Ω resistor in the way.

Ok thanks I forgot about that resistor.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1566/capturekwm.png

I believe the picture in this post is accurate. However how would I calculated the power dissipated in the 2A source?

I know I use

P = IV
P = 2(0-(-19.2))
or
P = 2(-19.2-0)

which one is correct?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Your node voltages and currents don't look right. Better recheck your calculations.

If the potential across a current source is negative (if it's driving a current from a higher potential to a lower potential), then it's absorbing energy.

What exactly dosen't look right?

GreenPrint said:
What exactly dosen't look right?

All the voltages and currents that you've added to the drawing.

Related to What is the validity of this electrical circuit?

What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It consists of a power source, conductors, and a load, which is the device that uses the electrical energy.

What are the different types of electrical circuits?

There are three main types of electrical circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, all components are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for current flow. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches, allowing for multiple paths for current flow. A series-parallel circuit is a combination of both types, with some components connected in series and others in parallel.

What is Ohm's law and how is it used in electrical circuits?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. It can be used to calculate the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. The formula is V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

How do you calculate the power in an electrical circuit?

The power in an electrical circuit can be calculated using the formula P=VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. This formula can also be rearranged to calculate voltage or current if power is known. Additionally, the unit for power is watt (W).

How can you troubleshoot problems in an electrical circuit?

To troubleshoot problems in an electrical circuit, there are a few steps you can follow. First, check if the power source is working properly. Then, check for any loose connections or damaged components. Use a multimeter to measure voltage and current at different points in the circuit to determine where the issue may be. If necessary, replace any faulty components. It's important to always follow proper safety precautions when working with electrical circuits.