What is the velocity of raindrops in relation to the Earth and a car?

• Thread starter EBBAzores
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the car is moving east at 50 mph with raindrops falling vertically and making a 60 degree angle with the vertical. The raindrops' velocity relative to the car and Earth is 50 mph/sin(60) and 50 mph/cos(60), respectively.
EBBAzores

Homework Statement

A car travels to east with 50 km/h. It's rainning vertically in relation to the Earth. The raindrops on the lateral windows of the car make a 60 degree angle with the vertical. Determine the velocity of the raindrops in relation to:
a) The Earth
b) The car

Homework Equations

I really don't know what to do here xD

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what to do here xD

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. This is a relative velocity problem. I'll try to get you started.

Take toward the right on a sheet of paper to represent east and toward the top of the paper as representing vertically upward from the earth.

Draw a vector representing the velocity vector of the car relative to the earth:[itex]\vec{V}[/itex]C/E
Draw a vector representing the velocity of the rain relative to the earth: [itex]\vec{V}[/itex]R/E
Draw a vector representing the velocity of the rain relative to the car: [itex]\vec{V}[/itex]R/C

Which two of these vectors when added together will equal the third vector?

VC/E plus VR/E? That's equal to the 3rd vector

EBBAzores said:
VC/E plus VR/E? That's equal to the 3rd vector
No.

How are [itex]\displaystyle \vec{v}_{C/E}\,,\ \vec{v}_{R/E}\,,\text{ and }\vec{v}_{R/C}[/itex] related?

Vr/c = Vc/e + Vr/e

so by that logic Vr/c = 50/sin(60)

and of course Vr/e = Vr/c cos(60) = (50cos(60))/sin(60)

and that's the answer by this logic right?

EBBAzores said:
Vr/c = Vc/e + Vr/e

This is not the correct relation between the vectors. Did you draw the three vectors? If you add Vc/e + Vr/e graphically, you will see that the result does not point in the direction that you would expect for vr/c.

Can you see the correct relationship?

so by that logic Vr/c = 50/sin(60)

and of course Vr/e = Vr/c cos(60) = (50cos(60))/sin(60)

and that's the answer by this logic right?

When you construct the correct velocity diagram, see if you still get these answers.

So from what I draw I understood that the actual velocity diagram is given by Vc/e = Vr/e + Vr/c but besides that the results that I obtained before were right

EBBAzores said:
So from what I draw I understood that the actual velocity diagram is given by Vc/e = Vr/e + Vr/c but besides that the results that I obtained before were right

Let's see.

Vr/e = velocity of rain with respect to the Earth which is a vector pointing straight down.

Vr/c = velocity of rain with respect to the car which is a vector pointing down and to the left (i.e., down and toward the west).

If I place these vectors "head-to-tail" to add them, I get a resultant vector that points down and to the left (but more steeply downward than Vr/c).

This doesn't agree with Vc/e which is the velocity of the car with respect to the Earth and points horizontally toward the right.

So the Vr/e + Vc/e = Vr/c

There's a general rule for setting up correct relative velocity equations. Suppose you have three objects a, b, and c which move relatively to one another. A correct equation would be

Va/c = Va/b + Vb/c

Another correct relation would be

Vb/a = Vb/c + Vc/a

The general rule is that whatever subscript appears first on the left side of the equation is also the first subscript on the right side of the equation. The last subscript on the left side is also the last subscript on the right side. Whatever subscript does not appear on the left side will appear on the right as "sandwiched between" the first and last subscripts.

Thus in the first equation above, "a" appears first on both sides of the equation and "c" appears last on both sides. "b" is sandwiched between "a" and "c" on the right side.

See if this can help you set up a correct equation for the velocities in your problem.

Another rule that is often useful is Va/b = -Vb/a. (You might not need this rule to solve the particular problem you are working on now, but it might come in handy in other problems.)

Example, if a car is moving toward the east at 50 mph relative to the earth, then the Earth would be moving at 50 mph toward the west relative to the car: Vc/e = -Ve/c

Vr/e=Vr/c + Vc/e...

Seriously I'm feeling so stupid right I have an exam in 3h hours and I'm feeling like a don't know a thing!

Either way thanks for the help you've been given me

EBBAzores said:
Vr/e=Vr/c + Vc/e...

Seriously I'm feeling so stupid right I have an exam in 3h hours and I'm feeling like a don't know a thing!

That's the correct equation. Draw a velocity diagram representing this equation and you'll be able to use trig to get the answer. (The answers for the magnitudes of the velocities will agree with what you got before.)

Good luck with your exam.

I guess the raindrops must be at terminal velocity.

What causes raindrops to form on a car's windshield?

Raindrops form on a car's windshield when water vapor in the air condenses into liquid form due to a drop in temperature. This is why raindrops often form on a car's windshield when the weather is cooler, such as during a rainstorm or in the morning when the temperature drops overnight.

Why do raindrops sometimes seem to move in different directions on a car's windshield?

The direction of raindrops on a car's windshield depends on the speed and direction of the wind. If the wind is strong, it can cause the raindrops to move in a horizontal or diagonal direction. However, if the wind is calm, the raindrops will generally fall straight down due to gravity.

Can raindrops affect a car's performance?

In most cases, raindrops do not directly affect a car's performance. However, if there is heavy rain or a lot of standing water on the road, it can make driving more difficult and increase the risk of hydroplaning. Additionally, rain can also cause visibility issues for drivers, making it important to use windshield wipers and headlights when driving in the rain.

Why do raindrops sometimes bead up on a car's surface while other times they spread out?

The way raindrops behave on a car's surface depends on the surface tension of the water and the surface's hydrophobic or hydrophilic properties. If the surface is hydrophobic, meaning it repels water, the raindrops will bead up and roll off. If the surface is hydrophilic, meaning it attracts water, the raindrops will spread out and stick to the surface.

Can raindrops damage a car's paint?

In most cases, raindrops will not damage a car's paint. However, if the rain is mixed with other substances such as bird droppings or tree sap, it can potentially cause damage to the paint if not cleaned off promptly. Acid rain can also cause damage to car paint over time due to its corrosive properties.