What is the Voltage Gain of Vo/Vi in an Op Amp Circuit?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the voltage gain of Vo/Vi for an inverting op amp and a differential op amp. The equations used were Vo= -R2/R1 * Vi for the inverting op amp and Vo= -R2/R1 (Vx-Vi) for the differential op amp. The final answer was calculated to be 121.878Vi. The solution was suggested to be made clearer by adding comments throughout the derivations. A coincidence was noted that the same exercise was encountered by someone else.
StripesUK

Homework Statement

Find the voltage gain of Vo/Vi. I'm pretty confident I have this down now, but I'd be greatful if someone could confirm I have this sussed.

Homework Equations

For the inverting op amp:
[itex]Vo= \frac{-R2}{R1}*Vi[/itex]
For the differential op amp:
[itex]Vo= \frac{-R2}{R1}(V--V+)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]Vx= \frac{-R2}{R1}*Vi[/itex]
[itex]Vx= \frac{-68}{12}*Vi=-5.667Vi[/itex]

[itex]Vo= \frac{-R2}{R1}(Vx-Vi)[/itex]
[itex]Vo= \frac{-220}{12}((-5.667Vi)-Vi)[/itex]
[itex]Vo= \frac-18.3(-6.66Vi)=121.878Vi[/itex]

[itex]\frac{Vo}{Vi}=121.878[/itex]

Attachments

• IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 351
Physics news on Phys.org
The result looks good.

You might want to sprinkle a few comments around in your derivations so that it's obvious what your steps are accomplishing. It was a bit puzzling at first to see the same symbols, R1 and R2, take on different values with no apparent reason.

I've read this exact problem this morning and got 122.22. It may not be as exact as your answer but it's just the same. Just make your solution clearer to avoid confusion.

Coincidence that this is the same exercise ?

1. What is voltage gain?

Voltage gain refers to the ratio of output voltage to input voltage in an electronic circuit. It is a measure of the amplification or attenuation of the input signal by the circuit.

2. How is voltage gain calculated?

Voltage gain is calculated by dividing the output voltage (Vo) by the input voltage (Vi), and expressing it as a ratio or in decibels (dB).

3. Why is it important to confirm voltage gain?

Confirming voltage gain is important to ensure that the circuit is functioning properly and meeting the desired amplification or attenuation requirements. It also allows for troubleshooting and adjustments to be made if necessary.

4. How can voltage gain be measured?

Voltage gain can be measured using a multimeter or an oscilloscope. The multimeter measures the voltage directly, while the oscilloscope displays the waveform of the input and output voltages, allowing for a more detailed analysis.

5. What factors can affect voltage gain?

The voltage gain of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the quality and type of components used, temperature, power supply fluctuations, and external interference. It is important to consider these factors when designing and testing a circuit.