What is the word for bifurcation but with multi-branching?

• Thread starter ppppparker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bifurcation
In summary, there was a discussion about the term "polyfurcation" and its meaning in reference to branching. It was clarified that the term for multi-branching is furcation, while bi-furcation specifically refers to splitting into two branches. The conversation then shifted to the venturi effect and its role in lowering pressure in some places in blood vessels. The question was raised about the extra speed used in this process. It was noted that the venturi effect occurs on the outflow and reduces pressure due to the volume being evacuated more quickly.
ppppparker
I thought it would be polyfurcation but it s not in dictionary. Also if blood vessels use venturi effect to lower pressure in some places, what is the extra speed used for?

Physics news on Phys.org
ppppparker said:
I thought it would be polyfurcation but it s not in dictionary. Also if blood vessels use venturi effect to lower pressure in some places, what is the extra speed used for?

Furcation is the term for Multi-branching, Bi-furcation implies it splits into 'only' 2 branches, at that junction.

The venturi effect occurs on the outflow, which implies the pressure is decreased because the volume is evacuated more quickly.
Or,
http://www.healio.com/cardiology/learn-the-heart/cardiology-review/venturi-effect.

Fwiw, I am not a Medical practitioner but I did have a ASD, WPW, and DoKB repair a large number of years ago. :-)

1. What does bifurcation mean?

Bifurcation refers to the splitting or division of something into two branches or parts.

2. Is bifurcation the same as branching?

While they are similar concepts, bifurcation specifically refers to splitting into two branches, while branching can refer to multiple branches.

3. What is the opposite of bifurcation?

The opposite of bifurcation is convergence, which refers to the coming together or merging of two or more branches or parts.

4. What is the word for bifurcation with multiple branches?

The word for this is "polyfurcation", which combines the prefix "poly" meaning many and the root "furcation" meaning branching.

5. Can you give an example of polyfurcation in nature?

One example of polyfurcation in nature is the branching patterns of trees and plants, where a single trunk or stem splits into multiple branches.