What is the Work Done by Normal Forces in a Children's Slide?

In summary: The boy's muscular force does not contribute to the work done because it is a static force and does not cause displacement.
lavankohsa

Homework Statement

In a children's park, there is a slide which has a total length of 10 m and a height of 8.0 m .
Vertical ladder are provided to reach the top. A boy weighing 200 N climbs up the ladder to the top of the
slide and slides down to the ground. The average friction offered by the slide is three tenth of his weight. Find
(a) the work done by the ladder on the boy as he goes up, (b) the work done by the slide on the boy as he comes down. Neglect any work done by forces inside the body of the boy.
attb8j.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The work done by the ladder is equal to the increase in potential energy of the boy. But in my book it says it is zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the ladder involved in his sliding down?

No, but ladder is involved in going up then it should do work when boy goes up

lavankohsa said:
No, but ladder is involved in going up then it should do work when boy goes up
what part do the boys leg muscles play relative to the amount of work that it takes him to get to the top?

It pushes the ladder down.

Really? So the ladder moves?

Ladder doesn't move but does ladder do work on the boy when boy is climbing ? That is I am not able to understand.

lavankohsa said:
Ladder doesn't move but does ladder do work on the boy when boy is climbing ? That is I am not able to understand.
A force only does work when the object it acts on moves in the direction of the force. The work done is the integral of the force wrt the displacement. In vectors, that's a dot product: ##\int \vec F.\vec {ds}##

Ladder applies force on the boy and boy moves up and the displacement is in direction of force applied. That means ladder does work on the boy.

The ladder exerts force on the boy ⊥to itself ( normal ) and along itself ( friction ) .

Normal does no work because it is perpendicular to the diplacement of the boy and friction does no work because it is static and causes no diplacement of the boy .

*Please - I just considered that he climbed along the incline .

Last edited:
In physics, a force is said to do work if, when acting on a body, there is a displacement of the point of application in the direction of the force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics)

The point of application of the force has to be displaced in order to do work.
The ladder step exerts force on the foot of the man, but the step does not move.

lavankohsa said:
Ladder applies force on the boy and boy moves up and the displacement is in direction of force applied. That means ladder does work on the boy.
The point of application of the force from the ladder is on the boy's foot. As the boy moves up, the foot and rung remain stationary. The force does not move the foot, so does no work.
It may help to simplify the scenario by considering the boy's feet and legs as massless, concentrating all his mass in his torso. Treat the ladder, legs and torso as separate bodies. The leg muscles generate a force down on the ladde rung and an equal and opposite force up on the torso. Which force moves the thing it acts on?

Qwertywerty said:
The ladder exerts force on the boy ⊥to itself ( normal ) and along itself ( friction ) .

Normal does no work because it is perpendicular to the diplacement of the boy and friction does no work because it is static and causes no diplacement of the boy .
No, that's not it. The boy stands on rungs, which are horizontal. The normal force from ladder is therefore vertical.

No sorry - If you would read my edited post I had considered that the boy climbed up the incline .

My mistake .

Last edited:
Anyhow , even if he climbed up the rungs , the only difference would be that the normal force would not be causing any diplacement in the vertical direction and so work done would still be zero .

OK, suppose I lift a book from ground then normal force would do work because point of application moves up. And in above question if ladder does no work while climbing then Boy has to do work by internal force . am I correct ?

Yes the boy does work . Effectively , muscular energy of the boy is being conterted to his gravitational potential energy .

And i
Qwconfusion. Why said:
Yes the boy does work . Effectively , muscular energy of the boy is being conterted to his gravitational potential energy .
I have one more confusion. Why we don't include this muscular force of the boy in work -energy theorem.

Okay - Work Energy Theorem →

ΔW = ΔKE .

Change in KE ? Zero .
Work done by gravity ? -ve .
Forces doing work ? The body muscles' and gravity .

So what would be the only way to have ΔKE zero ?

I hope this helps .

Last edited:
lavankohsa said:
And i

I have one more confusion. Why we don't include this muscular force of the boy in work -energy theorem.
What makes you think we don't?

OK, I have cleared my confusion by reading university physics book. Thanks all for helping.

What is work done by normal force?

The work done by normal force is the product of the magnitude of the normal force and the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by the normal force.

Is work done by normal force always positive?

No, work done by normal force can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the force and the displacement of the object. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done is positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done is negative.

How is work done by normal force related to potential energy?

Work done by normal force can be converted into potential energy. When an object is lifted against the force of gravity by a normal force, work is done and the object gains potential energy. The amount of work done is equal to the change in potential energy.

Can the normal force do work on an object at rest?

No, the normal force only does work when there is displacement in the direction of the force. If an object is at rest, there is no displacement and thus no work is being done by the normal force on the object.

How does the angle between the normal force and displacement affect the work done?

The angle between the normal force and displacement affects the work done by changing the component of the force in the direction of displacement. The work done is maximum when the force and displacement are in the same direction, and minimum (or zero) when they are perpendicular to each other.