What is the Zero Density Cube?

In summary, the conversation is about a unique geometric figure known as a Sierpinski sponge or Menger sponge. The figure is created by repeatedly cutting out smaller cubes from a larger cube, resulting in a fractal dimension. Some confusion arises as to which specific type of sponge is being described, but they both have similar construction methods and properties.
chaotixmonjuish
I may be posting this in the wrong section:

A while ago I was reading a collection of articles on Wikipedia and I stumbled upon this article that was pretty interesting. It was about a cube, on each face of the cube a small cube is cut out. It is done many more times. The next thing I recall was that the figure had a density of 1 or 0. I'm not sure what this is called. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like your are talking about a "Sierpinski sponge". Divide a cube into 27 small cubes by cutting each face with two planes and remove the middle cube. Now do the same with each of the remaining cubes. It has fractal dimension.

I might be describing the same thing as HofI, but the Menger sponge is constructed in much the same way except that you also remove the centre cube, so that you're left with 20 smaller cubes. Iterating this infinitely produces the Menger sponge, which has infinite surface area and zero volume.

It was the first one, but the second one seems pretty similar

Related to What is the Zero Density Cube?

1. What is a cube with a zero density?

A cube with a zero density is a theoretical object that has no mass or weight. This means that it has no physical substance and does not take up any space.

2. How is a cube with a zero density possible?

A cube with a zero density is not possible in the physical world. It is a concept used in mathematical and scientific theories to help explain certain phenomena.

3. What are some real-world applications of a cube with a zero density?

A cube with a zero density is often used in theoretical physics to explain concepts such as black holes and the nature of space and time. It can also be used in mathematical models and simulations.

4. Can a cube with a zero density exist in our universe?

No, a cube with a zero density cannot exist in our universe as it goes against the fundamental laws of physics. Matter cannot have zero mass or density.

5. How does a cube with a zero density affect our understanding of the universe?

A cube with a zero density is a useful concept in theoretical physics and helps scientists better understand the nature of space, time, and gravity. It also plays a role in the study of black holes and the behavior of matter in extreme conditions.