What is this truck doing in my neighborhood gas station?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Truck
In summary, a meat truck was parked in a gas station for an extended period of time with strange equipment on top. It is unclear what the equipment is for, but it may be used to polish fuel.
berkeman
Mentor
I was getting gas today on my way home from work, and the apparatus on top of this box truck parked in the parking lot caught my eye. Just as with unusual antennas, when I see something like this I need to take a closer look to see if I can figure out what it is being used for. (Luckily no security guards came running out to ask me what my problem with the truck was...) :smile:

There appeared to be a generator inside the truck somewhere supplying power to whatever was in the box portion of the truck, and it appeared to be parked there for an extended period of time for whatever reason. The big (air?) circuit on the top of the box made no sense to me, since it's heavily insulated, so why pipe it outside of the box? Apparently not for cooling, but then why?

Based on something that I noticed as I was driving away from the gas station (see the spoiler below if needed), I have an idea for what it may be doing. But even with that, it still doesn't look right, and it's hard to believe the EPA would approve something like what I'm thinking...

Thoughts? Has anybody seen one of these before? I suppose I could have gone into the office and asked about it, but, well, you know... :cool:

The two white PVC tubes in the lower right of the picture were going from the truck box to a pavement cover for the underground gasoline storage tanks. Maybe an inlet and outlet for filtering the air inside the underground storage tank space? Still doesn't make sense to me...

McKee Gas Station Truck Nov 2018.jpg

Attachments

• McKee Gas Station Truck Nov 2018.jpg
    McKee Gas Station Truck Nov 2018.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
California is extremely vigilant about HC emissions. My guess is that your local gas station has had a failure of their permanent (CARB mandated) vapor recovery system and the truck is a 'loaner.'

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
A search on the DOT number revealed a little info.

Averagesupernova said:
A search on the DOT number revealed a little info.
Okay, searching on the DOT number (good idea!) says it's a meat truck. Hmmm...

https://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Carrier/132504/CarrierRegistration.aspx

Cargo Carried
  • GENERAL FREIGHT
  • HOUSEHOLD GOODS
  • METAL; SHEETS, COILS, ROLLS
  • MOTOR VEHICLES
  • DRIVE AWAY/TOWAWAY
  • LOGS, POLES, BEAMS, LUMBER
  • BUILDING MATERIALS
  • MOBILE HOMES
  • MACHINERY, LARGE OBJECTS
  • FRESH PRODUCE
  • LIQUIDS/GASES
  • INTERMODAL CONTAINERS
  • PASSENGERS
  • OIL FIELD EQUIPMENT
  • LIVESTOCK
  • GRAIN, FEED, HAY
  • COAL, COKE
  • X MEAT
  • GARBAGE, REFUSE, TRASH
  • U.S. MAIL
  • CHEMICALS
  • COMMODITIES DRY BULK
  • X REFRIGERATED FOOD
  • X BEVERAGES
  • PAPER PRODUCTS
  • UTILITY
  • FARM SUPPLIES
  • CONSTRUCTION
  • WATER WELL
  • OTHER

If there is meat in the underground tanks, those dinosaurs have not been properly aged. :wink:

Likes Asymptotic, LURCH and russ_watters
If it looks like the car in the background has its hood opened -
( Hey it could have been an electric car getting a boost :confused: )

- it is the reflection off the windshield of the black van farther behind.

PS. that ain't no antenna - that's just a lamp post.

Why not just ask the gas station operator?

Likes berkeman and anorlunda

1. Why is this truck parked at the gas station in my neighborhood?

The truck may be parked at the gas station to refuel or to make deliveries. Gas stations are often convenient locations for trucks to refuel since they are designed for large vehicles and have easy access to fuel pumps.

2. Is this truck causing any damage to the gas station or neighborhood?

Generally, trucks are designed to be able to navigate through gas stations without causing any damage. However, if the truck is parked in a way that obstructs traffic or is damaging property, it is important to address the issue with the driver or gas station staff.

3. Who is responsible for this truck being at the gas station?

The truck driver or the company they work for is responsible for the truck being at the gas station. Gas stations often have designated areas for trucks to park and refuel, so it is likely that the truck is there with permission from the gas station.

4. How long will this truck be at the gas station?

The length of time a truck stays at a gas station can vary depending on its purpose for being there. If it is just making a quick stop for fuel, it may only be there for a few minutes. However, if it is making a delivery, it may be parked for a longer period of time.

5. Is this truck a safety hazard at the gas station?

As long as the truck is parked in a designated area and not obstructing traffic, it should not be a safety hazard at the gas station. However, it is important to always use caution when driving near trucks and to follow any posted safety guidelines at the gas station.