What is v and delta X after switching between frictions?

• Thread starter Sciencelover91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary: If you do that, you can see that there is a net force acting on the pallet that is less than the force you are pushing with. So you need to use that net force in calculating the acceleration.C) I'm using the correct velocity (.54 m/s) and plug it into V^2 = vo^2 + 2 a (change in X) but I don't get the right answer which is .0875 m. I do not know how to get the correct answer if it's the right equation.Remember, the velocity you are using is the final velocity (0.54 m/s). What is the initial velocity? And
Sciencelover91

Homework Statement

A wooden pallet carrying a load of 600 kg rests on a wooden floor.
(s= .28 and k= .17)
a. A forklift driver decides to push it horizontally instead of lifting it. What force must be
applied to just get the pallet moving from rest?
b. After a bit of time, the driver pushes the pallet and it slides. How fast is the pallet
moving after 0.5 seconds of sliding under the same force you calculated in part a?
Draw a free body diagram – don’t forget about friction!
c. If the forklift driver stops pushing at 0.5 seconds, how far does the pallet slide before
coming to a stop?

Homework Equations

Fs= us (Fn)
Fk= uk (Fn)
F= ma
V^2 = vo^2 + 2 a (change in X)
V=vo+ at

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I know that to just get the pallet moving from rest means right when it moves so it's not moving, making it static friction so I did: Fs = .28 (600kg X 9.81 m/s^2) = 1648 N
B) I did f= ma because the problem said under the same force from part A so 1648 N = 600 kg (a) and got a = 2.75 m/s^2
Then I did v = vo + at so it becomes v = 2.75 m/s^2 (.5 s) = 1.37 m/s^2. However my answer is wrong because I didn't use Fk= uk as it is now kinetic friction. The correct answer is supposed to use Fs - Fk= ma and is a = 1.07 m/s^2 and v = .54 m/s but I don't know why. Why do you subtract the two frictions and what happened to using the Applied force?
C) I'm using the correct velocity (.54 m/s) and plug it into V^2 = vo^2 + 2 a (change in X) but I don't get the right answer which is .0875 m. I did (.54 m/s)^2 = 0 + 2 (1.07m/s^2)(change in x) and got change in x = .136 m. I do not know how to get the correct answer if it's the right equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sciencelover91 said:

Homework Statement

(s= .28 and k= .17)
a. A forklift driver decides to push it horizontally instead of lifting it. What force must be
b. After a bit of time, the driver pushes the pallet and it slides. How fast is the pallet
moving after 0.5 seconds of sliding under the same force you calculated in part a?
c. If the forklift driver stops pushing at 0.5 seconds, how far does the pallet slide before
coming to a stop?

Homework Equations

Fs= us (Fn)
Fk= uk (Fn)
F= ma
V=vo+ at

A) I know that to just get the pallet moving from rest means right when it moves so it's not moving, making it static friction so I did: Fs = .28 (600kg X 9.81 m/s^2) = 1648 N
B) I did f= ma because the problem said under the same force from part A so 1648 N = 600 kg (a) and got a = 2.75 m/s^2
Then I did v = vo + at so it becomes v = 2.75 m/s^2 (.5 s) = 1.37 m/s^2. However my answer is wrong because I didn't use Fk= uk as it is now kinetic friction. The correct answer is supposed to use Fs - Fk= ma and is a = 1.07 m/s^2 and v = .54 m/s but I don't know why. Why do you subtract the two frictions and what happened to using the Applied force?
The applied force is equal to the static friction force. Remember, the driver applied just enough force to get it moving, and continued to apply that same force for 0.5 seconds once it started to move.
C) I'm using the correct velocity (.54 m/s) and plug it into V^2 = vo^2 + 2 a (change in X) but I don't get the right answer which is .0875 m. I do not know how to get this if it's the right equation.
What value did you use for the acceleration while the pallet was sliding by itself?

Sciencelover91 said:

Homework Statement

(s= .28 and k= .17)
coming to a stop?

Homework Equations

Fs= us (Fn)
Fk= uk (Fn)
F= ma
V=vo+ at

Once you overcome static friction, the force you are pushing with (1648 N) doesn't change (according to the problem statement), but the friction force drops to about 1200 N, so there is now a net force of about 450 N. Did you draw a free body diagram like they asked?
C) I'm using the correct velocity (.54 m/s) and plug it into V^2 = vo^2 + 2 a (change in X) but I don't get the right answer which is .0875 m. I do not know how to get this if it's the right equation.
Show us the details of your calculation please.

Chestermiller said:
Once you overcome static friction, the force you are pushing with (1648 N) doesn't change (according to the problem statement), but the friction force drops to about 1200 N, so there is now a net force of about 450 N. Did you draw a free body diagram like they asked?

Show us the details of your calculation please.
I did (.54 m/s)^2 = 0 + 2 (1.07m/s^2)(change in x) and got change in x = .136 m but the correct answer is .0875m so I don't know how. Also why does the friction force drop that much?

gneill said:
The applied force is equal to the static friction force. Remember, the driver applied just enough force to get it moving, and continued to apply that same force for 0.5 seconds once it started to move.

What value did you use for the acceleration while the pallet was sliding by itself?
I used a = 1.07 m/s^2.
Also
gneill said:

I used 1.07 m/s^2.

Sciencelover91 said:
I used 1.07 m/s^2.
What forces are operating while the box is sliding? Are they the same as when it was being pushed?

Sciencelover91 said:
I did (.54 m/s)^2 = 0 + 2 (1.07m/s^2)(change in x) and got change in x = .136 m but the correct answer is .0875m so I don't know how. Also why does the friction force drop that much?
Actually, I made a mistake in arithmetic. The friction force drops to 1000 N, and the net force is 647 N.

Is your question, "why is the coefficient of kinetic friction smaller than the coefficient of kinetic friction?"

I match your solution on the distance. So, I'm guessing that the "correct answer" is "incorrect."

gneill said:
What forces are operating while the box is sliding? Are they the same as when it was being pushed?
There is kinetic friction, you stopped applying force which was equal to Fs so those cancel out. Gravity and normal force cancel out too. So the Fnet is kinetic friction, when it was being pushed it was Fs-Fk so it's different.

Sciencelover91 said:
There is kinetic friction, you stopped applying force which was equal to Fs so those cancel out. Gravity and normal force cancel out too. So the Fnet is kinetic friction, when it was being pushed it was Fs-Fk so it's different.
You don't stop applying the force after you overcome kinetic friction. What do the words "under the same force you calculated in part a" mean to you?

Chestermiller said:
Actually, I made a mistake in arithmetic. The friction force drops to 1000 N, and the net force is 647 N.

Is your question, "why is the coefficient of kinetic friction smaller than the coefficient of kinetic friction?"

I match your solution on the distance. So, I'm guessing that the "correct answer" is "incorrect."
Okay thank you!

Only kinetic friction is operating (horizontally) when the pallet is sliding freely, no longer being pushed by the forklift. So the net force then is 1000 N. That alone dictates the acceleration for part c. I get the answer expected: d ≅ 0.087 m .

gneill said:
Only kinetic friction is operating (horizontally) when the pallet is sliding freely, no longer being pushed by the forklift. So the net force then is 1000 N. That alone dictates the acceleration for part c. I get the answer expected: d ≅ 0.087 m .
Is the acceleration negative because it is slowing down? And to solve for change in x, you do not use .5 s at all?

The acceleration is negative. The basic kinematic formula still applies:

##v_f^2 - v_o^2 = 2 a d##

Just assign your velocities to the correct variables :smile:

1. What is v and delta X after switching between frictions?

After switching between frictions, the velocity (v) and displacement (delta X) of an object will depend on various factors such as the type of friction, the initial velocity, and the mass of the object. The new velocity and displacement can be calculated using equations such as Newton's second law of motion and the equations of motion.

2. How does friction affect an object's velocity and displacement?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It can decrease an object's velocity and change its displacement by reducing its kinetic energy. The amount of friction depends on the type of surface and the force applied to the object.

3. Can the direction of an object's velocity and displacement change after switching between frictions?

Yes, the direction of an object's velocity and displacement can change after switching between frictions. This can happen if the direction of the applied force changes or if the object encounters a different type of friction that acts in a different direction.

4. Is there a relationship between the coefficient of friction and an object's velocity and displacement?

Yes, there is a relationship between the coefficient of friction and an object's velocity and displacement. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how difficult it is for an object to move across a surface. A higher coefficient of friction means the object will experience more resistance and therefore, have a lower velocity and displacement.

5. How can we reduce the effects of friction on an object's velocity and displacement?

There are a few ways to reduce the effects of friction on an object's velocity and displacement. One way is to use lubricants such as oil or grease to decrease the friction between surfaces. Another way is to use wheels or ball bearings to reduce the contact area and therefore, decrease the force of friction. Additionally, minimizing the force applied to the object can also reduce the effects of friction.