What is your favorite particle?

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary: I don't really have a favorite, but I would have to guess that for a cat, it is the neutrino.Neutrinos are so strange that they have their own Wikipedia page.In summary, the international study found that high school teachers and students consider the Higgs boson, the neutrino, the electron, the photon, and the gluon as their favorite particles. There were no significant differences with regard to the teachers’ and students’ nationality or gender.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Abstract. We have conducted a large-scale international study with high-school teachers (N=530) and high-school students (N=959) from all around the world to investigate and document what they consider as their favourite particles. We found five particles to be highly prominent in both groups, namely the Higgs boson, the neutrino, the electron, the photon and the gluon. Moreover, we did not find any significant differences with regard to the teachers’ and students’ nationality or gender. In this article, we present our findings in detail and give insight into the teachers’ and students’ justifications of why they chose a specific parti

I'm curious whether we can confirm that hadrons don't like hadrons?

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/1512/1/012021

Likes rsk
Physics news on Phys.org
Electron because when I was young I lived and breathed electronics. I still am into it a bit because I am now an audiophile nut into small makers that I can discuss technical stuff with.

Thanks
Bill

Likes DennisN and mcastillo356
fresh_42 said:
LOL. I was thinking how impressive it was that random high school students and teachers would even know accurately what elementary particles there are, let alone have a favorite one. Then I saw this in the article... (no wonder these "random" subjects knew so much)...

3.Methods

Every year, CERN offers international programmes for both high-school teachers and high-school students. Among them are the International High School Teacher Programme and the International Teacher Weeks Programme, which are professional development programmes directed at in-service high-school science teachers from all around the world [7]. In addition, CERN’s hands-on learning laboratory, S’Cool LAB [8], offers the S’Cool LAB summercamp, which is designed for 16-19 year-old high-school students from all around the world.

For these three programmes, interested candidates have to fill out and submit an extensive application form, which contains both open-ended and closed-ended questions. In addition, applicants need to provide a short video to present themselves and explain why they are the ideal candidate to take part in the respective programme. Indeed, every year, we receive hundreds of applications from highly motivated high-school teachers and high-school students for CERN’s international programmes. Thus, we decided to make use of this diverse pool of self-selected high-school teachers and high-school students and to use part of the application process for our physics education research.

Likes BillTre
Every organic chemist I know “pushes” electrons here and there. It’s all about the electrons.

Likes epenguin, Klystron, bhobba and 1 other person
My favorite is one that doesn't actually exist. It was "discovered" (about the time I started working in experimental particle physics as a grad student) by a group at Fermilab headed by Leon Lederman, which gave it the name "upsilon". They later retracted their announcement, and the "particle" became known as the "Oops-Leon".

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, chemisttree, vela and 5 others
What an odd but interesting thing to research!

I would have thought that science geeks would have some empathy for the strange quark. Perhaps no one wants to admit it.

Likes diogenesNY and Ibix
PeroK said:
I would have thought that science geeks would have some empathy for the strange quark. Perhaps no one wants to admit it.
Strange was my thought, because of the reaction it gets from students when they learn of its existence. That and gluon. They look at you like they can't work out whether you're kidding them or not.

PeroK said:
I would have thought that science geeks would have some empathy for the strange quark.
Truth, man, truth.

Likes bhobba
I would also choose the electron, partly for nostalgic reasons.
I still remember being shown an electron diffraction experiment in high school a long time ago, and it made a big impression on me.
It was somewhat like this:

Likes Frigus, Klystron, bhobba and 1 other person
My choice of favorite particle: electron.

Yes, for youthful nostalgia. Yes, from adult experience with electromagnetism (EM).
Yes, from professional interest in electronics and EM fields.

--------------------------

Electrons are so cool that, if they were not elementary particles, they would wear sunglasses. :cool:

Likes DennisN
The St. Valentine's Day monopole, though I'm somewhat Blas(é) about it.

• Haha
Likes bhobba and berkeman
I don't really have a favorite, but I would have to guess that for a cow, it is the muon.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, DennisN and bhobba
256bits said:
I don't really have a favorite, but I would have to guess that for a cow, it is the muon.
Shouldn't that be a cat, not a cow?

Likes 256bits

What is your favorite particle?

As a scientist, I have studied many particles and each one has its own unique properties and uses. However, if I had to choose, my favorite particle would be the electron. It is a fundamental building block of matter and is essential for many processes in our everyday lives.

Why is the electron your favorite particle?

I find the electron fascinating because it has both particle-like and wave-like properties, making it a key player in quantum mechanics. It also plays a crucial role in electricity and magnetism, which are essential for technology and modern conveniences.

What makes the electron different from other particles?

The electron is unique because it has a negative charge, making it the only known fundamental particle with a charge. It also has a very small mass compared to other particles, making it easier to study and manipulate.

Are there any practical applications of studying electrons?

Absolutely! The study of electrons has led to many technological advancements, such as the development of transistors and microchips used in computers and other electronic devices. Understanding electrons also helps us better understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, which is crucial for fields like chemistry and biology.

Is there anything else interesting about electrons that most people don't know?

One interesting fact about electrons is that they have a property called spin, which is not actually related to physical spinning, but rather a quantum mechanical property that determines how the electron interacts with magnetic fields. This spin property is what allows us to have MRI machines and other advanced medical imaging technologies.