What is your proposed list of experiences for a Physics II (Electricity and Magnetism) laboratory?

In summary, the proposed list of experiences for a Physics II (Electricity and Magnetism) laboratory course at university includes activities such as getting familiar with Van-de-graph and some other electrostatic devices, reading colorful resistance, Ohm's law (drawing V-I graph by changing V and measuring I), specific resistivity, finding 'ρ' via R=ρl/A, tying electrical resistance:‌ series, parallel and combinated circuits, charging and discharging a capacitor, transformer, and introducing students to oscilloscopes.
Dorea
I'm a new TA in a physics laboratory and we're going to redesign experiences for fundamental physics II lab that is a semester course on electricity and magnetism for undergraduates in their 2nd year.

What is your proposed list of experiences for a Physics II (Electricity and Magnetism) laboratory course at university?

Science news on Phys.org
no idea?

To add to what Andy had asked, what did you have before? Does it really require a complete and total overhaul (which isn't a very good sign for the students that went before) such that you do not even have a starting set to work from?

Zz.

Andy Resnick said:
What is wrong with the 'standard' list of experiments, listed all over the interweb?
http://physics.nyu.edu/~physlab/GenPhysII_PhysIII/genphys2.html
Except numbers 1 and 7, others are simple and out of any conception: They just give the student ability to create a circuit! I'm looking for a simple version of some experiment such as Millikan experiment, focused on fundamental concepts of basic physics

ZapperZ said:
Does it really require a complete and total overhaul (which isn't a very good sign for the students that went before) such that you do not even have a starting set to work from?
I'm a new TA. They has built a new lab and we're migrating to a that building. So, we're trying to redesign experiments.
These are list of experiments that is routine in our lab currently:
1. Getting familiar with Van-de-graph and some other electrostatic devices.
2. Reading colorful resistance
3. Ohm's law (drawing V-I graph by changing V and measuring I)
4. Specific resistivity, Finding 'ρ' via R=ρl/A
5. Tying electrical resistance:‌ Series, parallel and combinated circuits
6. Charging and discharging a capacitor
7, 8 and 9. R-C, R-L and R-L-C circuits in alternating Currents
10. Transformer; Research the relationship between V, I and N: V2/V1=N2/N1 and I1/I2=N2/N1
11. Introduction to Oscilloscopes

Last edited:
Dorea said:
Except numbers 1 and 7, others are simple and out of any conception: They just give the student ability to create a circuit! I'm looking for a simple version of some experiment such as Millikan experiment, focused on fundamental concepts of basic physics
<snip>

The purpose of introductory labs is to give a broad introduction to basic and essential experimental methods (which are put to purpose by carrying out simplified versions of experiments). Why, exactly, do you think an undergraduate with no prior experience using electrical devices will be successful at re-creating the Millikan experiment?

a 2X2X2 LED light cube with a cheap Arduino Nano can be done in an hour or so and it does a great job of teaching how transistors work. Combine that with the Veritasium video on how transistors work and you have some great subject matter for the fundamental intersection of circuitry and chemistry.

If you are interested, I could post our Arduino code. It's super simple. And, the transistors you need are common.

I'm also a fan of the Franklin bell-- which I hadn't seen until I started teaching.

I hope that Dorea has settled on a set of experiments by now, a year after starting this thread. :biggrin:

Likes jbstemp
Oops. Didn't see the year.

1. What is the purpose of a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism?

The purpose of a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism is to provide hands-on, practical experience that reinforces the concepts and principles learned in the classroom. It allows students to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting and develop their critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

2. What are some of the key topics that should be covered in a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism?

Some of the key topics that should be covered in a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism include electric fields, electric potential, capacitance, current, resistance, circuits, magnetic fields, and electromagnetism. These topics are fundamental to understanding the behavior of electricity and magnetism and are essential for further studies in physics.

3. What types of experiments should be included in a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism?

The experiments included in a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism should be designed to illustrate and reinforce the key concepts and principles. They should involve various equipment and techniques, such as using circuits and measuring instruments, to measure and analyze electric and magnetic phenomena. Some examples of experiments include determining the resistance of a wire, investigating the behavior of capacitors in series and parallel, and exploring the relationship between current and magnetic fields.

4. How can you ensure safety in a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism?

To ensure safety in a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism, it is essential to provide proper training and instructions to students before starting any experiments. All equipment should be inspected regularly and maintained in good working condition. Students should also be instructed to wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses, when handling potentially hazardous materials or equipment.

5. What are some potential challenges when designing a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism?

Some potential challenges when designing a Physics II laboratory for Electricity and Magnetism include selecting appropriate experiments that align with the curriculum and learning objectives, ensuring that all necessary equipment and materials are available and in working condition, and managing time effectively to cover all the essential topics. It is also crucial to consider the safety and accessibility of the laboratory for all students.