What kind of bird is this?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of a bird depicted in a tattoo. The participants suggest that the bird may be a falcon or a made-up species, and they use the shape of its head and beak to narrow down the possibilities. They also consider the artistic license involved in the design and the potential significance of the bird being the fastest animal on the planet. Some participants mention specific types of birds of prey and their characteristics, while others mention the possibility of the tattoo being inspired by other birds or artistic trends. The original poster clarifies that the source of the tattoo is unknown and that it may be a unique design. A photo of a peregrine falcon is shared as a possible inspiration for the tattoo.
member 428835
What kind of bird is this? Anyone know?

Attachments

• bird.png
    bird.png
    157.2 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
Taking into account fact it is a drawing/tatoo/artistic depiction it can be anything.

Likes dlgoff and davenn
Borek said:
Taking into account fact it is a drawing/tatoo/artistic depiction it can be anything.
Well no it can't be anything, it's not a duck a wader a Finch a song bird gull or many other types.
The shape of the head and hooked beak narrows it down.
The fact it's the fastest animal on the planet could have some sort of significance to the person with the tattoo.

Likes symbolipoint
Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate all your comments!

I would say an angry bird, and it's missing its lower lip, so probably can't vent its frustration properly, hence the internalization showing up on its face which isn't good for its heart.

I say artistic license with the Merlin bird of prey as the model.

joshmccraney said:
I appreciate all your comments!
There are 5 types of bird of prey checking on Google, the length of the beak and size and shape of the head. Plenty of images on the web, happy hunting.

pinball1970 said:
Well no it can't be anything, it's not a duck a wader a Finch a song bird gull or many other types.
But it has the beak of a parrot!

Likes symbolipoint and davenn
Borek said:

pinball1970 said:
The shape of the head and hooked beak narrows it down.
The fact it's the fastest animal on the planet could have some sort of significance to the person with the tattoo.

Perhaps Borek means it might be nothing that actually exists? And if he didn't meant that, then I'll say: It might be nothing that actually exists.

Just a possibility.

Redbelly98 said:
It might be nothing that actually exists.

That's what I was aiming at.

Likes symbolipoint
fresh_42 said:
But it has the beak of a parrot!

Yes and that narrows it down!

Which parrot? Obviously nothing crested right?

I do not have a tattoo (I do not like them) but I know people who have them and there are certain things they do that follow a pattern.

1/The tattoo is from a drawing.

2/The drawing has some sort of significance to the person.

3/The source of the drawing is usually something that the person has seen on another person (a trend), the tattooists own design or something very specific.

Bird of prey seems a good choice and the shapes and sizes fits.
If it's a made up bird it is still clearly based on a real bird.
Parrot? Unless the recipient is a R. L. Stevenson fan, Monty python fan or owned a rather satanic looking parrot I would say unlikely.

The source of the tattoo would be a help here from the OP @joshmccraney

Wow, I appreciate all the attention this has gotten! Unfortunately, I have no clue what kind of bird it is. Here is the source. You have to scroll down about 2/3 of the way.

See, my twin brother wanted to get another tattoo and thought this was cool. I was super confused what kind of bird it was and after about an hour of failed google searches, I turned to PF to see what you all thought. Beyond this link, I have no clue where the tattoo is from.

Likes BillTre and member 428835
As an addendum, here is all the artist says about the piece.

Likes BillTre
Well, there's certainly a lot of artistic license involved since the bird in the tattoo has long lips that go back from the beak in something of a scowl. Actual birds don't have lips.

Last edited:
Likes member 428835 and BillTre
phinds said:
Well, there's certainly a lot of artistic license involved since the bird in the tattoo has long lips that go back from the beak in something of a scowl. Actual birds don't have lips.
To me it looks like it was at least in part inspired by the peregrine falcon:

1577052574934.png

I've mailed the guy, see if he can give more information.
His other designs feature birds at least based on barn owls tawny owls bald eagle and two of the crow family.
Let's see what he comes back with

Likes sysprog
sysprog said:
To me it looks like it was at least in part inspired by the peregrine falcon:

View attachment 254585
Great picture, nature at its most beautiful and most deadly.

1. What is the name of this bird?

The name of this bird is the most frequently asked question when trying to identify a bird. The answer depends on the specific species of the bird and can usually be found by looking at its physical characteristics or consulting a bird identification guide.

2. How can I identify this bird?

There are a few ways to identify a bird, including observing its physical characteristics such as size, color, and shape, as well as its behavior and habitat. Consulting a field guide or using a bird identification app can also be helpful.

3. Is this bird a male or a female?

In most bird species, males and females have distinct physical differences that can help with identification. These differences can include size, color, and markings. However, some bird species have males and females that look very similar, making it difficult to determine the sex without genetic testing.

4. Where can I find more information about this bird?

There are many resources available for learning more about different bird species. Some good sources include field guides, birding websites, and online birding communities. Visiting a local nature center or attending a birding workshop can also provide valuable information.

5. What is the scientific name of this bird?

Each bird species has a unique scientific name, consisting of two parts: the genus and the species. This naming system is used to standardize the identification of all living organisms. The scientific name can usually be found in bird identification guides or by conducting a simple internet search.