What kind of rock have I found?

• Thread starter Cramberamber5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, the individual has found a round, smooth rock with orange and black stripes that is also magnetic. They are seeking help in identifying the rock, and there are several possibilities including a quartzite, a type of banded rock formed from sand through metamorphosis. The rock may have been found in a river or on a beach and it may appear more vibrant when wet or coated with lacquer. The stripes on the rock may also be a composite of different materials, such as rock and a chemical compound of magnesium. There are also suggestions that it could be a type of rhythmite, a sedimentary rock formed by alternating layers of sand and mud.
Cramberamber5
TL;DR Summary
I found a round smooth like rock with orange and black stripes and it's magnetic
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I have a round smooth like rock with orange and black/gray stripes and it's magnetic,can anyone help me identify what it is or might be? please and thank you.
received_805880980820612.jpeg

Likes Delta2
Either drag and drop the image onto your edit window,
or click attach files button on the left, below the edit window.

I think it must be a composite material, the orange stripes being some rock material and the grey stripes being some chemical compound of magnesium.

My guess is a quartzite.
The rock was laid down as beds of pure sand during floods, alternating with mud-contaminated sand during quiet periods. Then it was cooked for millions of years, under great pressure, and so metamorphosed into a banded quartzite. That rock was then washed down a river, and/or spent time on a beach, until it became a well-rounded stone.

It would probably look better if it was wet, or was given a clear coat of lacquer.
Where on Earth did you find it, and in what setting?
Are the light and dark bits magnetic? Does it deflect a compass?

Likes Oldman too

1. What are the different types of rocks?

There are three main types of rocks: igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. Igneous rocks are formed from molten magma or lava, sedimentary rocks are formed from the accumulation and cementation of sediments, and metamorphic rocks are formed from the transformation of existing rocks under high heat and pressure.

2. How can I identify the type of rock I have found?

To identify a rock, you can perform a series of tests including observing its color, texture, and composition, as well as conducting a hardness test and a streak test. You can also consult a field guide or consult with a geologist for assistance.

3. What is the difference between a rock and a mineral?

A rock is a naturally occurring solid mixture of minerals or mineraloids, while a mineral is a naturally occurring inorganic substance with a specific chemical composition and crystal structure. In other words, rocks are made up of minerals, but not all minerals make up rocks.

4. Are all rocks the same age?

No, rocks can vary greatly in age depending on their formation. Some rocks can be billions of years old, while others may have formed more recently. The age of a rock can be determined through radiometric dating techniques.

5. Can rocks change over time?

Yes, rocks can undergo changes over time through weathering, erosion, and geological processes. This can result in the formation of new rocks or the transformation of existing rocks into different types. For example, sedimentary rocks can be transformed into metamorphic rocks through heat and pressure.