What kind of wire needed to prevent overheating?

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, doubling the resistance of the copper wires in the circuit will lead to a decrease in current and an increase in total resistance. However, the effect on the power dissipated in the wires depends on the size of the change in resistance. If the change is small, the decrease in current will result in a decrease in power dissipated in the wires. But if the change is significant, the increase in total resistance can lead to an increase in power dissipated in the wires. This is because the power dissipated in the transmission lines is proportional to the square of the current, and inversely proportional to the resistance.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
V = I.R
##P = I^2 R##
1676798659210.png

I thought the answer is (B) because thinner wire means higher resistance and smaller current so smaller power dissipated in the wire, but the answer is (A)

What is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: V = I.R
##P = I^2 R##

View attachment 322505

I thought the answer is (B) because thinner wire means higher resistance and smaller current so smaller power dissipated in the wire, but the answer is (A)

What is my mistake?

Thanks
Where is most of the power being used? What does that tell you about how the load resistance compares to the copper wire resistance? And what does that say about the effect on the current of making the wires a bit thinner?

haruspex said:
Where is most of the power being used?
In the heating element of the oven

haruspex said:
What does that tell you about how the load resistance compares to the copper wire resistance?
The load resistance is higher than the copper wire resistance

haruspex said:
And what does that say about the effect on the current of making the wires a bit thinner?
Making the wires a bit thinner will increase the resistance of the wire and also the total resistance of the circuit so the current will decrease

songoku said:
Making the wires a bit thinner will increase the resistance of the wire and also the total resistance of the circuit so the current will decrease
That would mean your roast isn't roasted any more (but slow-cooked instead) !
Think in terms of symbol expressions: what is the ratio of the power generated in the oven and the power generated in the connecting cable ?

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
songoku said:

What is my mistake?
You might like to try some simple calculations which should make it clear.

Supply voltage = 240V (since I live in the UK!)
Resistance of connecting wires = 0.1Ω
Resistance of cooker = 10Ω

Q1: Find the current.
Q2: Find the power produced in the connecting wires.
Q3 (optional): Find the power produced in the cooker.

The connecting wires are now replaced by thinner connecting wires of resistance 0.2Ω.
Q4: Find the current.
Q5: Find the power produced in the connecting wires.
Q6 (optional): Find the power produced in the cooker.

(Edited: some minor changes and I messed up the resistances!)
(Another edit: and before anyone tells me I'm wrong, yes, I know the UK is now 230V. But I'm very old.)

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
songoku said:
Sure, but I asked how the two resistances compare. If you double the resistance of the copper wires, how much difference will that make to the total resistance? How much will the current drop?
Remember, the power dissipated is ##I^2R##, so lowering the current a little for a large increase in resistance might increase the power lost in the wires.

Likes MatinSAR
Try eliminating the current before making a judgement, it's clouding the issue.

The current in the simple resistive circuit is found through:

$$V = ( r_t + R_o)I$$

And the heat dissipated in the transmission lines:

$$P_t = I^2 r_t$$

After eliminating ##I## take the derivative ## \frac{dP_t}{dr_t}##; notice how it behaves for ##\pm \Delta r_t##?

Last edited:
BvU said:
That would mean your roast isn't roasted any more (but slow-cooked instead) !
Think in terms of symbol expressions: what is the ratio of the power generated in the oven and the power generated in the connecting cable ?

##\ ##
$$\frac{P_{oven}}{P_{cable}}=\frac{R_{oven}}{R_{cable}}$$

Steve4Physics said:
You might like to try some simple calculations which should make it clear.

Supply voltage = 240V (since I live in the UK!)
Resistance of connecting wires = 0.1Ω
Resistance of cooker = 10Ω

Q1: Find the current.
Q2: Find the power produced in the connecting wires.
Q3 (optional): Find the power produced in the cooker.

The connecting wires are now replaced by thinner connecting wires of resistance 0.2Ω.
Q4: Find the current.
Q5: Find the power produced in the connecting wires.
Q6 (optional): Find the power produced in the cooker.

(Edited: some minor changes and I messed up the resistances!)
(Another edit: and before anyone tells me I'm wrong, yes, I know the UK is now 230V. But I'm very old.)
From calculation I got the power actually doubles when the resistance of the wire doubles.

I now understand my mistake in OP but I still can't understand the answer intuitively / qualitatively without performing calculation.

haruspex said:
Sure, but I asked how the two resistances compare. If you double the resistance of the copper wires, how much difference will that make to the total resistance? How much will the current drop?
Remember, the power dissipated is ##I^2R##, so lowering the current a little for a large increase in resistance might increase the power lost in the wires.
Doubling the resistance of the copper wires will make the total resistance to be ##2R_c+R_o## (where ##R_c## and ##R_o## are the resistance in cable and oven respectively). So the ratio between the initial total resistance and the new total resistance is ##\frac{R_o + R_c}{2R_c + Ro}##

The ratio of new current to initial current will be ##\frac{R_o + R_c}{2R_c + Ro}##

erobz said:
Try eliminating the current before making a judgement, it's clouding the issue.

The current in the simple resistive circuit is found through:

$$V = ( r_t + R_o)I$$

And the heat dissipated in the transmission lines:

$$P_t = I^2 r_t$$

After eliminating ##I## take the derivative ## \frac{dP_t}{dr_t}##; notice how it behaves for ##\pm \Delta r_t##?
$$P_t=\frac{V^2 ~ r_t}{(r_t+R_o)^2}$$
$$\frac{dP_t}{dr_t}=\frac{V^2 (r_t+R_o)^2-2V^2~r_t(r_t+R_o)}{(r_t+R_o)^4}$$
$$=\frac{V^2(R_o-r_t)}{(r_t+R_o)^3}$$

Then how to analyze the behavior for ##\pm \Delta r_t##?

Thanks

songoku said:
$$P_t=\frac{V^2 ~ r_t}{(r_t+R_o)^2}$$
$$\frac{dP_t}{dr_t}=\frac{V^2 (r_t+R_o)^2-2V^2~r_t(r_t+R_o)}{(r_t+R_o)^4}$$
$$=\frac{V^2(R_o-r_t)}{(r_t+R_o)^3}$$

Then how to analyze the behavior for ##\pm \Delta r_t##?

Thanks

First, we are assuming ##R_o > r_t##. That implies the whole right side is always positive. Meaning if we decrease the resistance ( negative ##\Delta r_t## ) from a particular value ## 0<r_t<R_o##, the change in power ( ##\Delta P_t##) will be in the same direction ( negative ##\Delta P_t##) as the change in the resistor ##r_t## in this circuit.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
songoku said:
From calculation I got the power actually doubles when the resistance of the wire doubles.
Well done. For ease of reference, here is the Post #5 question/answer:

We have a 240V supply and a 10Ω load.

Case 1. With thicker (0.1Ω) connecting wire:
Total resistance =10.1Ω
Current = V/R = 240V/10.1Ω = 23.8A
Power in wire = I²R = 23.8² * 0.1 = 56W

Case 2.With thinner (0.2Ω) connecting wire:
Total resistance =10.2Ω.
Current = V/R = 240V/10.2Ω = 23.5A
Power in wire = I²R = 23.5² * 0.2 = 111W

songoku said:
I now understand my mistake in OP but I still can't understand the answer intuitively / qualitatively without performing calculation.
See if this helps.

In Post #1 you said “thinner wire means higher resistance and smaller current”. From the above calculation we can see the current is reduced from 23.8A to 23.5A when thinner wire is used.. But that’s a pretty small change. In fact the current is approximately constant. (This happens because the load resistance is much bigger than the connecting wire resistance.)

So when you change from thicker to thinner connecting wire in this circuit, to a first approximation you can treat the current as constant. That means when the resistance of the wire increases,the power dissipated in the wire increases (P=I²R with I approximately constant.)

Note, doubling resistance halves the current only if the applied voltage is constant. But in case 1 the voltage across the connecting wires is 2.4V and in case 2 it is 4.7V.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
$$\frac{P_{oven}}{P_{cable}}=\frac{R_{oven}}{R_{cable}}$$
Exactly ! Or, if you want: $$P_\text {cable} = \frac {P_\text{oven}} {R_\text{oven}} \; R_\text {cable}$$ So -- with a given power as desired in the oven, and a given ##R_\text {oven}## -- you can minimize ##P_\text {cable}## by minimizing ##R_\text {cable}##

The 'intuitive way' would be: ##P= I^2 R \Rightarrow P\propto R## since ##I## is the same for the series circuit of cable and oven. You want the power in the oven and not in the cable. ##R_\text {cable}=0## would be optimum :wink:

##\ ##

Likes songoku
I understand.

Thank you very much for the explanation haruspex, BvU, Steve4Physics, erobz

Likes erobz

1. What factors contribute to wire overheating?

There are several factors that can contribute to wire overheating, including the amount of current flowing through the wire, the length and thickness of the wire, and the type of insulation used.

2. How do I determine the appropriate wire size to prevent overheating?

The appropriate wire size to prevent overheating depends on the amount of current the wire will be carrying. You can use a wire gauge chart or consult with an electrician to determine the correct wire size for your specific application.

3. Is there a specific type of wire that is better for preventing overheating?

Copper wire is generally the best choice for preventing overheating. It has a high conductivity and can handle high currents without overheating. Additionally, using wires with thicker insulation can also help prevent overheating.

4. How can I ensure that my wires do not overheat?

To prevent wire overheating, it is important to properly size the wire for the amount of current it will be carrying, use the correct type of wire for the application, and properly secure and protect the wire to prevent damage. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify any potential issues before they become a problem.

5. What are the dangers of wire overheating?

Wire overheating can lead to electrical fires, damage to equipment, and potential injury. It is important to properly size and maintain wires to prevent overheating and ensure the safety of your electrical system.