What limits the max power rating of a V-Belt drive?

In summary, belt drives are commonly used in industry for high power applications, with multiple V belts running in parallel on multi groove pulleys. The main limiting factors for power/torque rating of belts include frictional slip, belt material, pulley diameter, belt construction, and belt design. Toothed belts can eliminate slippage but may have limitations in rapid acceleration/deceleration and temperature rise. Manufacturers such as Habasit and Gates offer various types of belts that can handle high powers, with some capable of driving over 1000 horsepower.
Yaksha
We know that belt drives are limited in their max possible power rating and most high power/torque applications(trucks) use gear drives.

I wanted to know the main factor that limits the power/torque rating of belts.

Is it Frictional slip or Belt material?

If the frictional slip could be eliminated somehow(assume), are the materials used for belts currently, capable of handling high torques and power applications?

Is the material limitation the reason for the introduction of steel belts(where friction is still present)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
All of the above, plus pulley diameter, belt construction, and belt design. There are many differences between a fractional horsepower belt, such as that used in a home shop drill press, and a high power belt in a snowmobile transmission. There is no one single factor.

Likes Yaksha and Asymptotic
Yaksha said:
I wanted to know the main factor that limits the power/torque rating of belts.
Is it Frictional slip or Belt material?

Take a look at engineering guides available from Gates, and other manufacturers that concern themselves with belted power transmission.

A toothed belt eliminates slippage as a consideration, but adds rapid accel/decel as a limiting factor (belt teeth tear off where a V belt just slips). Temperature rise is a factor in many belt limitations.

Likes Yaksha
JRMichler said:
All of the above, plus pulley diameter, belt construction, and belt design. There are many differences between a fractional horsepower belt, such as that used in a home shop drill press, and a high power belt in a snowmobile transmission. There is no one single factor.

Asymptotic said:
Take a look at engineering guides available from Gates, and other manufacturers that concern themselves with belted power transmission.

A toothed belt eliminates slippage as a consideration, but adds rapid accel/decel as a limiting factor (belt teeth tear off where a V belt just slips). Temperature rise is a factor in many belt limitations.
Thank you for both of your valuable inputs! I'm in a attempt to use toothed belts to eliminate slippage in a CVT design. So was investigating problems that would happen if a belt drive is used in the design. Your information about snowmobile and toothed belt wear, helped me understand better! :)May I know the harshest high power rating conditions where are belts are used? Snowmobiles are the ultimate? It might help me know the max power rating of existing belts of any type.

Last edited by a moderator:

Belt drives carrying high powers are still in common use in industry . Usual arrangement is to have several V belts running in parallel on multi groove pulleys .

Belts types are not limited to simple V and toothed designs . There are flat belts , round belts and Poly V belts as well .

Last edited:
Likes Yaksha and jim mcnamara
Yaksha said:
May I know the harshest high power rating conditions where are belts are used? Snowmobiles are the ultimate? It might help me know the max power rating of existing belts of any type.

For that, you need to spend some time reading manufacturer's catalogs. There are several belt types that can drive over 1000 hp.

Habasit is a well known manufacturer of flat belts: http://www.habasit.com/en/ptb-belt-design.htm.

Gates is the leading manufacturer of high performance toothed belts: https://www.gates.com/resources/resource-library/product-catalogs. Look at the Gates PowerGrip and PolyChain.

Nidum said:

Belt drives carrying high powers are still in common use in industry . Usual arrangement is to have several V belts running in parallel on multi groove pulleys .

Belts types are not limited to simple V and toothed designs . There are flat belts , round belts and Poly V belts as well .

Thank you! Marvellous beast at work! Nice to know the conditions at which belts are used...

JRMichler said:
For that, you need to spend some time reading manufacturer's catalogs. There are several belt types that can drive over 1000 hp.

Habasit is a well known manufacturer of flat belts: http://www.habasit.com/en/ptb-belt-design.htm.

Gates is the leading manufacturer of high performance toothed belts: https://www.gates.com/resources/resource-library/product-catalogs. Look at the Gates PowerGrip and PolyChain.

I was going through GATES as suggested above. Thanks for helping to point links where I can properly start as I have little experience in this :)

1. What factors determine the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive?

The maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive is determined by several factors, including the belt material, belt width, pulley diameter, and speed of the drive. The type of application and the load being driven also play a role in determining the maximum power rating.

2. How does belt material affect the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive?

The material used to make the V-Belt greatly impacts its maximum power rating. Different materials have varying tensile strength, flexibility, and heat resistance, which can affect the overall power rating of the drive. For example, a rubber V-Belt will have a lower maximum power rating compared to a Kevlar or steel V-Belt due to its lower tensile strength.

3. Can the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive be increased?

Yes, the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive can be increased by increasing the belt width, using a larger pulley diameter, or using a stronger belt material. However, it is important to note that the maximum power rating is also limited by the design and materials of the overall drive system.

4. How does speed affect the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive?

The speed of the V-Belt drive is another important factor that determines its maximum power rating. Higher speeds can cause the belt to stretch and slip, reducing its ability to transmit power. Therefore, a V-Belt drive operating at high speeds will have a lower maximum power rating compared to one operating at lower speeds.

5. What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive?

Exceeding the maximum power rating of a V-Belt drive can lead to premature wear and failure of the belt, pulleys, and other components in the drive system. This can result in costly repairs and downtime. It is important to always operate the V-Belt drive within its maximum power rating to ensure optimal performance and longevity.