What limits the speed of a computer or cell phone?

In summary: Let me try to refine my question.What is carrying the force that is doing the switching inside a processor? Is it the movement of electrons? Or is it an electromagnetic field?Both are related. Electrons move due to an electromagnetic field (mainly due to the electric part), and the electromagnetic field exists due to the charge density (and current flow) that gets influenced by the motion of charge.
Pythagorian
I am just beginning to educate myself about electricity and computers. Every time I read something I realize my ignorance is even greater than I imagined. For instance, I was stunned to learn that the drift speed of a typical current is so slow.
  • An AC circuit generates an electromagnetic field that travels at a significant fraction of the speed of light. But in a DC circuit no electromagnetic field is generated.
  • A computer or cell phone operates using a DC circuit, and thus does not generate an electromagnetic field.
  • Thus I am led to assume that in a computer or cell phone the speed should be limited by the slow drift speed of charges.
  • But these devices process instructions at a rate of millions, if not billions per second.
So it is clear to me that I am missing some important pieces of information. Please help me to understand or it least point me in the direction that my education needs to go.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorian said:
An AC circuit generates an electromagnetic field that travels at a significant fraction of the speed of light. But in a DC circuit no electromagnetic field is generated.
There is an electromagnetic field, but it is static in a perfect DC setup (nothing changes at all).
Pythagorian said:
A computer or cell phone operates using a DC circuit, and thus does not generate an electromagnetic field.
They use both. Also, the voltage inside the active compoents switches frequently - that is the point of the computer: compute things.
Pythagorian said:
Thus I am led to assume that in a computer or cell phone the speed should be limited by the slow drift speed of charges.
Why should it?

One thing you need to bear in mind is that the reason your cell phone works at all is because it is able to receive and transmit microwaves, (EM).

Let me try to refine my question.

What is carrying the force that is doing the switching inside a processor? Is it the movement of electrons? Or is it an electromagnetic field?

Pythagorian said:
Let me try to refine my question.

What is carrying the force that is doing the switching inside a processor? Is it the movement of electrons? Or is it an electromagnetic field?
Both are related. Electrons move due to an electromagnetic field (mainly due to the electric part), and the electromagnetic field exists due to the charge density (and current flow) that gets influenced by the motion of charge.

1. What is clock speed and drift speed?

Clock speed refers to the rate at which a computer's processor can execute instructions. Drift speed refers to the speed at which data travels through a circuit or transmission line.

2. How are clock speed and drift speed related?

Clock speed and drift speed are related in the sense that they both measure the speed of a computer's processing and data transfer. However, they are not directly related as they measure different aspects of a computer's performance.

3. Which is more important, clock speed or drift speed?

This depends on the specific task at hand. For tasks that require a lot of processing, high clock speed is more important. For tasks that involve a lot of data transfer, a high drift speed is more important.

4. Can clock speed and drift speed be improved?

Yes, both clock speed and drift speed can be improved through technological advancements. Processors can be designed to have higher clock speeds, and data transfer methods can be optimized to improve drift speed.

5. Are clock speed and drift speed the only factors that affect a computer's performance?

No, there are many other factors that can affect a computer's performance, such as the amount and type of memory, the type of processor, and the efficiency of the software being used.