What major usually entitles a student to a better job?

In summary, an advantage of getting a Bachelors in Information Technology or Health Services Administration is that it leads to a stable and efficient career. The disadvantages are that it is easier to practice and develop skills in your free time than it is in these majors, and that both fields are in high demand.
Danielle Sarah
Information Technology or Health Services Administration? Will acquiring a Bachelors in these majors plus an internship lead to a stable and efficient career? Please give me the pros and cons of each major. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that an advantage of IT is that it is easier to practice and develop skills in your free time than it is in Health Services Administration. A computer and the necessary software is most of what you need. Maybe you can look up online the number of jobs estimated to open up in each field. But both are in high demand.

Likes Danielle Sarah
Danielle, I think I understand your wanting stability, but you may also want to consider doing something you enjoy doing as part of your decision. You will be needing to make considerable efforts and will need to make sacrifices to get your degree at some point. It is much easier to go through hardships, to make sacrifices, if you are working/studying something you enjoy doing.

Likes Danielle Sarah and billy_joule
You become 'entitled to a better job' when you performance warrants such.

You reap what you sow.

Nothing will dampen your performance more than hating what you do...
all day long, day after long day after long day. Do what you love.

Likes Danielle Sarah and billy_joule
I think 'entitled' is not a very good word. A job is not a reward that the universe gives you if you do well in school or select the right major. Discussing 'prospects' might be better.

Likes pasmith and Choppy
Vanadium 50 said:
I think 'entitled' is not a very good word. A job is not a reward that the universe gives you if you do well in school or select the right major. Discussing 'prospects' might be better.
What I really should have said is "having a better chance of acquiring a more profitable position, versus someone who does not have a Bachelors".

I watched some college football yesterday, one of the bowl games, and a commentator supposedly quoted one of the coaches who said something like: "Nothing is more fun than traveling to some else's home turf, in the rain and wind and mud, and winning."

Finding what you really enjoy turns the morning travel to work [or school or a class] a trip of excitement.

Likes billy_joule
Danielle Sarah said:
What I really should have said is "having a better chance of acquiring a more profitable position, versus someone who does not have a Bachelors".
Searching 'salary by degree major' or sim. Will net a lot of relevant results.
Of course, they are just averages, you can get paid well with any degree if you are a good employee. And you are much more likely to be a good employee if you are interested in and enjoy your work.

Likes PhotonSSBM

What major usually entitles a student to a better job?

This is a commonly asked question among students who are trying to choose a major. The answer to this question can vary depending on the job market and industry trends, but some majors tend to have better job prospects than others.

1. Which majors have the highest job placement rates?

According to recent studies, majors in engineering, computer science, and healthcare tend to have the highest job placement rates. These fields are in high demand and offer competitive salaries. However, this does not guarantee a job as other factors such as experience, networking, and skills also play a role in job placement.

2. Do I need a specific major to get a good job?

While some majors may have better job prospects than others, it is not always necessary to have a specific major to get a good job. Many employers value skills and experience more than a specific major. It is important to research the job market and gain relevant experience in your field of interest to increase your chances of getting a good job.

3. Will a high GPA guarantee a better job?

Having a high GPA can certainly help in job applications, but it is not a guarantee for a better job. Employers also look for other qualities such as communication skills, problem-solving abilities, and relevant experience. A high GPA alone may not be enough to land a job, but it can definitely make you stand out among other candidates.

4. Is it better to choose a major based on job prospects or personal interests?

This is a personal decision that varies from individual to individual. It is important to choose a major that aligns with your personal interests and strengths as this can lead to a more fulfilling career. However, it is also important to consider the job market and potential job prospects in your chosen field.

5. Can I switch to a different major if I want a better job?

It is possible to switch to a different major if you realize that your current major may not have the job prospects you desire. However, this decision should be carefully considered as it may lengthen your time in college and potentially incur more expenses. It is important to seek guidance from academic advisors and research the job market before making a decision to switch majors.