What makes 0603 LEDs stick to probe?

In summary, the conversation was about the struggle of using pointy probes to measure the direction of light emission diodes and to solder them onto tiny PCB pads. The reason for the probes sticking to the LED was discussed, with the possibility of sticky dirt or magnetism being considered. However, the metal part of the LED is made of non-magnetic materials, so the idea of magnetism was dismissed. The conversation then delved into the possibility of exotic materials or nickel being used in electronics that could be partially magnetic. Ultimately, the correct answer for why the probes stick to the LED remains a mystery.
rogerk8
Hi!

I had an interesting chat with a physisist colleague of mine this week.

Working with modern small electronic components I began to wonder why my extremely pointy probes, measureing the direction of the light emission diode, stuck so irritating hard to it that it could not break loose after I had established anode/cathode.

I also had trouble releasing it from the nippers with the purpose of soldering it to the tiny PCB pads.

So I asked my colleague why.

The too obvious reply was sticky dirt but neither him nor me really believed that.

Remember that these tiny LEDs weighs almost nothing.

We further speculated that there might be some magnetism in the probes like it is possible to magnetize something iron-like just by moving a magnet back and forth (which also is a strange phenomena because do you really have to move the magnet?).

I said that I don't believe that is the reason either and that is because the metal part of the LED is made of non-magnetic copper and tin so it doesn't matter if the probe or nippers is magnetic or not, I said.

Then he had an idea that perhaps things just stick to each other if they are really close to each other.

I did however refere to a scientific program I saw not so long ago that taught me that nothing really touches anything and this is due to the electromagnetic forces of the outermost electrons.

So what is the correct answer?

Roger

Physics news on Phys.org
Bit of googling...

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/surface-mount-soldering-with-a-toaster-oven#.VDJmoGctDmQ
You'll need to place parts that are small enough to lose in the palm of your hand and if the tweezers are even slightly magnetised the parts will stick to them and you'll go slowly insane. I bought some super-fine non-magnetic tweezers from - you guessed it - Jaycar. Part number TH1754, about $5.
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13258&start=15
Ha! My tweezers are too magnetic-- I find even 0402s almost impossible to use.
http://www.hobbyelectronics.net/tec_smd-soldering.html
A good quality metal pair of tweezers is also essential. They should be none magnetic as most SMD components seem to be ferrous and “jump” up onto the tweezers when you move in for the grab, making it very difficult to pick the components up properly.

I now agree that they seem ferrous but what is it whith that copper/tin/lead/gold alloy that is ferrous?

Is there perhaps some iron involed also or what is it?

And if it's iron or some other ferrous material, why?

To me tinned copper should suffice.

Roger

One candidate is nickel which is a very common "sticking layer" in electronics, a thin layer is deposited before the other metals to achieve better adhesion.
And nickel is of course ferromagnetic.

1. What is the adhesive material used to make 0603 LEDs stick to probe?

The adhesive material used for 0603 LEDs to stick to probe is typically a thermally conductive epoxy or silicone. These materials provide a strong bond and also help dissipate heat from the LED.

2. How does the adhesive material affect the performance of the LED?

The adhesive material can affect the performance of the LED by impacting its thermal management and electrical conductivity. If the adhesive has poor thermal conductivity, it can lead to overheating and reduced lifespan of the LED. Similarly, if the adhesive has poor electrical conductivity, it can cause voltage drops and affect the brightness of the LED.

3. Can the adhesive material be replaced with another type?

Yes, the adhesive material can be replaced with another type as long as it has good thermal and electrical conductivity. However, it is important to ensure compatibility with the LED and probe materials to avoid any potential issues.

4. How long does the adhesive take to cure?

The curing time of the adhesive can vary depending on the type and brand used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for the adhesive to completely cure. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the best results.

5. Can the adhesive be removed once the LED is attached?

Yes, the adhesive can be removed if needed, but it may damage the LED or probe in the process. It is recommended to carefully heat the adhesive with a heat gun or use a solvent specifically designed for removing adhesives. It is important to exercise caution and follow proper safety precautions when attempting to remove the adhesive.