What makes it so hard to capture war criminals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of war crimes and the lack of justice for victims. It is mentioned that war crimes often occur at a slow pace and that international governance and the UN are not effectively addressing the issue. The difficulty in proving war crimes and the excuses of "following orders" are also mentioned. The conversation also brings up specific examples such as the Nuremberg trial and the case of Milosevic. The slow pace of prosecuting war criminals is questioned and it is suggested that criminals make it difficult to be caught. The idea of having multiple courts to prosecute war criminals is also brought up.
xecute
We say human rights are at the top of our agenda, yet, war crimes have occurred and are often put to halt at a very slow pace. Why is this the case? Doesn't this show that international governace just isn't doing it or is it really tehre faultl

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not on our agenda.

Has Bush ever actually said "Human rights are on the top of my agenda"? That'd be a shock if he had...

Let me rephrase. War crimes are infringing on human rights, why can't we ever get justice for the victims

I don't think justice is a high priority in our current government. The UN doesn't do a thing about it because they're a corrupt and highly dysfunctional. Justice only matters if you get press I guess...

xecute, do you have something specific in mind ? What war crimes are you talking about ?

The Nuremberg trial, for instance, happened almost immediately after the war ended - in fact, I'd say the Allies rushed it, instead of taking the time to get things right.

War crimes are very tricky to prove and while the excuse of "following orders" is not enough, it's often not a black or white situation.

Now your thread title asks about 'capturing' war criminals, and I don't see that this gets neglected, if there's diplomatic and military access.

xecute said:
Let me rephrase. War crimes are infringing on human rights, why can't we ever get justice for the victims
Criminals don't like being caught and don't make it easy for us.

well, let's just say.. milosevic

why did it take so long?
we have a bunch of courts, why can't we prosecute them

Related to What makes it so hard to capture war criminals?

What makes it so hard to capture war criminals?

1. Why do war criminals often go unpunished?

War criminals often go unpunished due to a lack of evidence, inadequate international laws and enforcement mechanisms, and political obstacles. In many cases, war criminals may also have powerful allies or resources that make it difficult for authorities to apprehend them.

2. How do war criminals evade capture?

War criminals may evade capture by hiding in remote areas, using false identities or passports, seeking refuge in countries with weak or corrupt governments, or receiving protection from powerful individuals or organizations.

3. What challenges do international tribunals face in prosecuting war criminals?

International tribunals face challenges such as obtaining cooperation from countries where the crimes were committed, gathering evidence in war-torn regions, and ensuring a fair trial for the accused. Additionally, some countries may not recognize the jurisdiction of international tribunals and refuse to hand over suspects.

4. How does the passage of time affect the ability to capture war criminals?

The passage of time can make it increasingly difficult to capture war criminals as evidence can be lost or destroyed, witnesses may die or become unreachable, and the political landscape may change. In some cases, war criminals may also be aging or in poor health, making it harder to bring them to justice.

5. What efforts are being made to improve the capture of war criminals?

International organizations, such as the International Criminal Court, are working to strengthen international laws and enforcement mechanisms to make it easier to capture and prosecute war criminals. Countries are also collaborating and sharing information to track down and apprehend suspects. Advances in technology, such as satellite imagery and forensic tools, are also helping to gather evidence and identify suspects.