What makes Saturday's full moon the biggest of 2009?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the moon was seen in the morning, during sunset, and again in the evening. It is a beautiful blue-white color.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
it's supposed to be cloudy here. :frown:

If skies are clear Saturday, go out at sunset and look for the giant moon rising in the east. It will be the biggest and brightest one of 2009, sure to wow even seasoned observers.

Earth, the moon and the sun are all bound together by gravity, which keeps us going around the sun and keeps the moon going around us as it goes through phases. The moon makes a trip around Earth every 29.5 days.

But the orbit is not a perfect circle. One portion is about 31,000 miles (50,000 km) closer to our planet than the farthest part, so the moon's apparent size in the sky changes. Saturday night (Jan. 10) the moon will be at perigee, the closest point to us on this orbit.

It will appear about 14 percent bigger in our sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during 2009, according to NASA. (A similar setup occurred in December, making that month's full moon the largest of 2008.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090109/sc_space/saturdaynightspecialbiggestfullmoonof2009

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here too, in the middle of a GIANT storm, with no thought of ending any time soon. I saw a beautiful shadowy, peeking behind clouds, low on the horizon moon yesterday on my way to work.

I can't even see 10ft in front of me because of all this snow. How am I suppose to see the moon? Screw you nature!

The weather was beautiful here, I actually saw the moon rising during sunset. Had no idea it was that big.

Missed it :frown: so when is the next big moon?

Evo said:
it's supposed to be cloudy here. :frown:
It looks clear out there now Evo. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking it out from my hill-top home.

My Eastern horizon is obscured by hills, trees, etc, but I just stepped out on the back deck to take a look, and man! is that sucker bright tonight! With all the snow reflecting the moonlight, the landscape is very well lit.

I want pictures!

:smile:

Oh yes. It is really large. Have you went out to look Evo? Now's the perfect time.

Monique said:
I want pictures!

:smile:
I tried, Monique! The moonlight on the trees, etc is very bright to my non-dark-adapted eyes, but it seems to be just beyond the capabilities of my camera/lens combinations to capture. I have been lazy and miserly, and have neglected to buy a head for my venerable old Bogen tripod, so I can't do long exposures.

dlgoff said:
It looks clear out there now Evo. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking it out from my hill-top home.
It's perfectly clear, and the moon is a beautiful golden yellow.

Evo said:
It's perfectly clear, and the moon is a beautiful golden yellow.
It's so blue-white here that it's like looking into one of those high-intensity euro-headlights. The shadows aren't as stark as you might expect, because there is so much reflected light from all the unshadowed snowy areas. This would be a perfect night to go snow-shoeing. Very bright, and 14 deg F with NO breeze.

I wish I could see it

turbo-1 said:
It's so blue-white here that it's like looking into one of those high-intensity euro-headlights. The shadows aren't as stark as you might expect, because there is so much reflected light from all the unshadowed snowy areas. This would be a perfect night to go snow-shoeing. Very bright, and 14 deg F with NO breeze.
I once went on a night hike when it was very cold and clear after an ice storm. The moon was like you describe. The ice covered trees made it seem you were on another planet. So cool.

dlgoff said:
I once went on a night hike when it was very cold and clear after an ice storm. The moon was like you describe. The ice covered trees made it seem you were on another planet. So cool.
When I was a teen, I was dealing with some fairly tumultuous times in my family (3 sisters, all younger and a year apart), and our little house got pretty claustrophobic in the winter. I'd strap on a pair of trapper-type snowshoes, and wander for miles on moonlit nights, just to clear my head and get some peace and quiet.

I think I going right now. See you all later.

Bye, Don!

Preview of chat with real-time chatter...

I woke up extra early, just to get a glimpse of it. And their she is, in all her glory. Still a bit hazy, but just beautiful.

1. What is the "Biggest Full Moon of 2009"?

The "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" refers to the largest full moon observed in the year 2009. It is also known as a "supermoon" and occurs when the moon is at its closest point to Earth in its orbit.

2. How big is the "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" compared to a regular full moon?

The "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" appears around 14% larger and 30% brighter than a regular full moon. This is due to its closer proximity to Earth.

3. Why does the "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" occur?

The "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" occurs due to the moon's elliptical orbit around Earth. When the moon is at its closest point to Earth, known as perigee, it appears larger and brighter in the sky.

4. When was the "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" observed?

The "Biggest Full Moon of 2009" was observed on December 2nd, 2009. This was the only supermoon of the year.

5. How often does the "Biggest Full Moon" occur?

The "Biggest Full Moon" occurs about once every year, although the exact date may vary. It is a natural occurrence caused by the moon's orbit and is not a rare event.