What makes up a "current" in solid state physics?

In summary: In fact, it's the only one that works in many situations.The idea is that every particle in a system has a "particle number". The particle number is a number that describes the particle in terms of its position in a list of particles. The number for an electron in a PN junction is 1. In fact, the electron always occupies the same position in a PN junction. In other words, it behaves like a "hole".Even though it's a rather old book, I like Kittel's simple approach (Introduction to Solid State Physics). He easily explained how "holes" can be thought as "real" objects. Most texts on Electronics resort to this simple picture. Without holes, describing a simple PN junction would
cemtu
Homework Statement
What makes of a current in solidstate/semiconductor physics?
Relevant Equations
none
If there is some incoming light that has hit electrons of a N-type doped silicon and broke loose these electrons from their covalent bounds and excited them to the conduction band and also excited the electrons in the donor energy level to the conduction band as well, here we know that,

the Majority charge carriers are electrons, so if we apply an external voltage and drive holes(minority charge carriers) and electrons(majority charge carriers) apart and measure the current, does the measured value of current give the value caused by only electrons flowing(majority charge carriers) or the value caused by only holes flowing(minority charge carriers) or value caused by both(amount of electrons(majority) + holes(minority)) of them ??

I am confused.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not an expert in semiconductor physics but I think the measured current will be the sum of the two currents from the electrons and the holes carriers.

But let's wait what the experts like @gneill , @jasonRF or @vanhees71 have to say.

Likes cemtu and vanhees71
I think that's correct. The "electrons" and "holes" are of course quasiparticles which have the quantum numberes of an electron and a positively charged quasiparticle called "hole". Their effective masses are usually different from the mass of the electron.

Likes Delta2
vanhees71 said:
I think that's correct. The "electrons" and "holes" are of course quasiparticles which have the quantum numberes of an electron and a positively charged quasiparticle called "hole". Their effective masses are usually different from the mass of the electron.
How can "an absence of electron=hole" has any type of mass?

Quasiparticles are just an ingenious idea by Landau. You have a many-body system, which you can describe with quantum field theory. Then it turns out that the collective excitations can be described in a formalism which is mathematically identical with the QFT description of particles. Holes are just an excitation of the semiconductor material which behave like such a gas of quasiparticles. Another example are phonons, i.e., the quantized sound waves of a solid. Nowadays the condensed-matter physicists have an entire zoo of all kinds of "exotic" quasiparticles behaving like magnetic monopoles, Weyl fermions, etc.

Likes Delta2 and cemtu
Even though it's a rather old book, I like Kittel's simple approach (Introduction to Solid State Physics). He easily explained how "holes" can be thought as "real" objects. Most texts on Electronics resort to this simple picture. Without holes, describing a simple PN junction would be too complex.

Likes vanhees71
Gordianus said:
Even though it's a rather old book, I like Kittel's simple approach (Introduction to Solid State Physics). He easily explained how "holes" can be thought as "real" objects. Most texts on Electronics resort to this simple picture. Without holes, describing a simple PN junction would be too complex.
I genuinely disagree.

Why? It's a very successful description.

1. What is a "current" in solid state physics?

A current in solid state physics refers to the flow of electric charge through a solid material. It is typically measured in amperes (A) and is a result of the movement of electrons within the material.

2. What factors contribute to the creation of a current in solid state physics?

Several factors can contribute to the creation of a current in solid state physics, including the presence of an electric field, the movement of electrons due to temperature differences, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material.

3. How is a current measured in solid state physics?

A current can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge. In solid state physics, a current is typically measured by applying a voltage across a material and measuring the resulting current.

4. What is the relationship between current and voltage in solid state physics?

The relationship between current and voltage in solid state physics is described by Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a material is directly proportional to the voltage (V) applied across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the material (I = V/R).

5. How does the structure of a material affect its current in solid state physics?

The structure of a material can greatly affect its current in solid state physics. For example, materials with a crystalline structure tend to have a higher conductivity and therefore a higher current compared to materials with an amorphous structure. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in a material can also impact its current by altering the movement of electrons within the material.