What Makes Up the Solidity of Tables?

• Thread starter bluecap
  • Start date
In summary, tables are composed of a large number of localized particles that are guided by an invisible wave. Scientists call the process decoherence. The difference between a table and a chair is that a chair is composed of many more molecules.
bluecap
I want to describe to a date what are tables made of without having to tell her about quantum mechanics or wave function.

I plan to say something like this.

Scientists don't know what are the particles in the tables made up of.. whether they are localized particles or made up of dream stuff or made up of maths.

She may answer back: But tables are solid.. how could they be anything else?

I may say: But when the math interfere.. it produce matter.. scientists called the process decoherence.

But the above would sound nerdy. What is the best way to say it? The localized particles being bohmians.

I got this idea from Demystifier who described it in the thread Pilot Waves of Apples

"Yes. According to the Bohmian interpretation, the apples and oranges we can touch are made of a large number of pointlike particles. Those particles are guided by the wave, but we don't touch the wave itself.

On the other hand, the Copenhagen interpretation is not so specific about what these things we touch are really made of. But even though it is not very specific about that, it definitely denies the existence of those Bohmian pointlike particles."

How do you rephrase it without using the word Bohmian or Copenhagen.

How about the following:

Science doesn't know what tables are made of.. either by a large number of pointlike particles that is guided by an invisible wave, or invisible things that appear to be solid due to interferences of mysterious substances or wave.

I don't want to complicate it by describing Many worlds.

Please give your own description like what I just described without using the words wave function, Bohmians or Copenhagen. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Many tables are made of wood. Some are made of plastic or metal or other substances. All of these are in turn composed of a great number of very small molecules. All scientists agree about this.

So what is the question again? And by the way, after that answer: what is the difference between a table and a chair? At some level, I hope you will see that the answer above is as good as any possible answer to your question.

DrChinese said:
Many tables are made of wood. Some are made of plastic or metal or other substances. All of these are in turn composed of a great number of very small molecules. All scientists agree about this.

So what is the question again? And by the way, after that answer: what is the difference between a table and a chair? At some level, I hope you will see that the answer above is as good as any possible answer to your question.

I want to describe to her the quantum mystery like whether particles are explained by CI, Bohmians, Many Worlds, Objective Collapse or TI.. but for introduction.. don't want her to take the whole medicine first.. but just doing it at a time.. so what words to describe them to her *initially*... because if I mention any world like Bohmian, she may just get bored... so want to pique her interests first.

Last edited:
Thread closed for Moderation...

What materials are tables typically made up of?

Tables can be made up of a variety of materials, but the most common are wood, metal, and plastic. Other materials such as glass, stone, and even concrete can also be used to make tables.

What are the main components of a table?

The main components of a table are the legs, tabletop, and support structure. The legs provide stability and support for the table, while the tabletop is the flat surface where items are placed. The support structure connects the legs to the tabletop and adds additional strength to the table.

How are tables constructed?

Tables are typically constructed by joining the legs and support structure together first, and then attaching the tabletop to the structure. The method of construction can vary depending on the materials used and the design of the table.

What factors should be considered when choosing a table?

When choosing a table, factors such as size, material, style, and function should be considered. The table should also be able to support the weight of items that will be placed on it and fit comfortably in the space where it will be used.

How can tables be maintained to prolong their lifespan?

To prolong the lifespan of a table, it is important to properly maintain it. This can include regular cleaning, avoiding placing heavy or hot items on the table, and using coasters or placemats to protect the surface. If the table is made of wood, it should also be treated with a protective finish to prevent damage from moisture or scratches.