What Makes XKCD a Must-See for Science and Math Geeks?

• Thread starter Wallace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary, the author of XKCD is a well-known physicist who has drawn comics about geeky subjects such as mathematics and computer science.
Wallace
Science Advisor
For anyone not aware of the absolute genius of the webcomic XKCD, I think http://www.xkcd.com/438//" comic should resonate with many of the members here :rofl:

Seriously, if you are a maths/science/physics/computer science/dinosaur geek check out the archives, there are some very funny comics there.

Edit: oh make sure you 'mouse over' the comic image and red the alt text that pops up. There is always an extra punch line in that for XKCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LOL, just got it bookmarked.

Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).
:rofl:

I think Hurkyl links to this in his signature. Or at least he used to if not now.

I'm actually becoming less impressed with xkcd over time. I think the author is slowly losing his touch. I wonder if it's a side effect of leaving academia to draw comics full-time. Most of his more recent strips are pretty superficial (no "advanced mathematics", or advanced linguistics topics, or anything really), and many of the recent ones are not even all that funny, except maybe to high-school students.

I agree there hasn't been a good maths/science one for ages.
The current ones are nice art but the boy-girl-hat thing is a bit self-referential.
Maybe he/she needs to do two strips, a science one and a new name for the boy-girl.

Less frequently updated but also worth reading is http://www.wellingtongrey.net/miscellanea/archive/index.html he is a physics teacher with a geeks-eye view of the world.
He also became famous for 15mins for a letter about the decline in standards of science teaching in (UK) schools which is also on his site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never really liked XKCD. They're pretty lame. Once in a blue moon there's a mildly amusing one, but most are just WAY too geeky, even for a self-proclaimed geek.

But, now we have PhD Comics right here at PF, so I'm happy. :biggrin:

I love xkcd! very amusing, and pretty good hand drawings too. I already had it on my favourite list.

1. What is the concept behind the webcomic "XKCD"?

The webcomic "XKCD" is known for its humorous and often thought-provoking commentary on various topics, including science, technology, and relationships. It often features stick figure characters and uses simple drawings to convey complex ideas and jokes.

2. Who is the creator of "XKCD" and what is their background?

The creator of "XKCD" is Randall Munroe, a former NASA roboticist and programmer. He has a degree in physics from Christopher Newport University and worked on the development of robots at NASA's Langley Research Center before becoming a full-time cartoonist.

3. How did "XKCD" gain popularity in the webcomic community?

"XKCD" gained popularity through word of mouth and social media sharing. Its clever and relatable content resonated with readers, and it gained a loyal following over time. The webcomic has also been featured in various publications and has won several awards.

4. Are the jokes and concepts in "XKCD" scientifically accurate?

While "XKCD" does touch on scientific topics, it is ultimately a webcomic and should not be taken as a reliable source for information. However, Randall Munroe often consults with experts and does extensive research to ensure the accuracy of his jokes and concepts.

5. Is there a message or theme in "XKCD"?

There is no overarching message or theme in "XKCD," as the webcomic covers a wide range of topics. However, it often promotes critical thinking and encourages readers to question the world around them in a humorous and relatable way.