What maps are considered in the Polyakov path integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical aspects of string theory, specifically the Polyakov euclidean path integral. The book "Quantum Fields and Strings: A Course for Mathematicians. Volume 2" explains that the path integral involves summing over topologies and integrating over the metric and map spaces. The main issue is that the integral includes all maps from the worldsheet to the manifold, rather than just embeddings as assumed in Chapter 3 of Polchinski's Vol.1. The question is whether it is physically relevant to integrate over all maps from the worldsheet to the manifold.
GeniVasc
Recently I've came to some references on mathematical aspects on string theory that deal with the Polyakov euclidean path integral. An example is the book "Quantum Fields and Strings: A Course for Mathematicians. Volume 2", where it is stated roughly that the path integral is

$$A = \sum_{\text{topologies}} \int_{\text{Met}(\Sigma)} \frac{1}{\mathcal{N}(g)} \int_{\text{Map}(\Sigma, M)} Dg Dx e^{-S[x,g,G]},$$

where ##(\Sigma, g), \, (M, G)## are Riemannian manifolds and ##x: \Sigma \to M## is assumed to be only continuous (?), ##Dg, Dx## being "measures". The main problem to me is that one of the spaces over which the integral is taken is the space of ALL maps ##x: \Sigma \to M##. I'm my understanding, this should be a space of embeddings, just as it is assumed in Chapter 3 in Polchinski's Vol.1, when he constructs the Polyakov path integral. It is physically relevant to just integrante over all maps from the worldsheet to the manifold ##M##?