What mathematical subjects should I study after calculus to understand fractals?

In summary, fractals are geometric shapes that exhibit self-similarity at different scales and have applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, biology, computer science, and art. They are used in real-world applications such as finance, medicine, and environmental science to model and analyze complex data and systems. Anyone with an interest in mathematics and a basic understanding of algebra and geometry can study fractals, with many online resources and courses available for beginners. Some popular resources for learning about fractals include books, websites, and online courses, as well as courses offered by universities.
dmehling
I am interested in studying fractals, but I'm not exactly sure what mathematical subjects I need to be familiar with in order to do that. I am currently learning calculus. What do you suggest I study after calculus?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_analysis"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are geometric shapes that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. This means that as you zoom in or out, the same patterns and shapes can be seen.

2. Why do people study fractals?

Fractals have been found to have applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, biology, computer science, and art. By studying fractals, we can gain a better understanding of complex systems and natural phenomena.

3. How are fractals used in real-world applications?

Fractals have been used in fields such as finance, medicine, and environmental science to model and analyze complex data and systems. For example, fractal geometry has been used to model stock market fluctuations and study the structure of the human lung.

4. Can anyone study fractals?

Yes, anyone with an interest in mathematics and a basic understanding of algebra and geometry can study fractals. There are also many online resources and courses available for beginners.

5. What are some resources for learning about fractals?

There are many books, websites, and online courses available for learning about fractals. Some popular books include "The Fractal Geometry of Nature" by Benoit Mandelbrot and "Fractals: The Patterns of Chaos" by John Briggs and F. David Peat. Online resources include fractal-galaxy.com and fractalfoundation.org. Additionally, many universities offer courses on fractal geometry and complex systems.