What Motor do I need for this small clinostat?

In summary, the motor needed for a small clinostat depends on the size and weight of the platform and the desired rotation speed. A low-speed DC motor with a gearhead is typically suitable for smaller platforms, while larger or heavier platforms may require a stepper motor or a higher-powered DC motor. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and requirements of the clinostat before selecting the appropriate motor.
Clinostat
Hello,

I am constructing a clinostat for an Experimental biochemistry research project. Physics is not my forte, and as such I would like advice on what type of low torque motor I need to rotate an 85g cylinder at ~60rpm. A diagram of the design I am using can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/gJL4S

The cylinder is 15mm in diameter, with a length of 92.5 mm. The material composition is glass, with plastic ends. I have a project budget of several hundred dollars, but would like to minimize costs where possible.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The design shown has 4 cylinders, so four small motors or one larger one?
Note that 60 RPM is very slow for most small motors, so a step down gear will be needed.
The key issue is how long your experiments need to run.
Small motors are dirt cheap, but they are not designed to run 24/7 for a month, which is what I'd think a biology experiment might need.
My guess is small pump motors for aquariums might have the needed durability.
Do note that the weight of the cylinder is not that critical, as long as it is evenly distributed. If the cylinder is unevenly filled, the motor has to work much harder.

This might, for any number of reasons, be an overly simplistic answer, but... could you just use an electric clock with a pulley screwed onto the minute-hand shaft?

Clinostat said:
Hello,

I am constructing a clinostat for an Experimental biochemistry research project. Physics is not my forte, and as such I would like advice on what type of low torque motor I need to rotate an 85g cylinder at ~60rpm. A diagram of the design I am using can be found here:
https://imgur.com/a/gJL4S

The cylinder is 15mm in diameter, with a length of 92.5 mm. The material composition is glass, with plastic ends. I have a project budget of several hundred dollars, but would like to minimize costs where possible.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.
You need a small DC gear motor

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on what motor to use for your small clinostat project. Based on the information you have provided, I would recommend using a low torque stepper motor with a speed controller. This type of motor is commonly used in scientific equipment and can provide precise and controlled rotation at various speeds.

In terms of the specific specifications, I would suggest looking for a stepper motor with a torque of at least 0.1 Nm and a speed range of 50-70 rpm. This should be sufficient for your 85g cylinder and the desired rotation speed of 60rpm.

In terms of cost, stepper motors can range in price, but you should be able to find one within your budget of several hundred dollars. I would also recommend looking for suppliers that specialize in scientific equipment as they may have more specific options for your needs.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a clinostat?

A clinostat is a scientific instrument used to study the effects of gravity on biological and physical systems. It consists of a rotating platform that can be tilted at different angles, allowing for the simulation of microgravity conditions.

2. Why do I need a motor for a small clinostat?

The motor is necessary to rotate the platform of the clinostat at a constant speed, ensuring consistent and accurate results in experiments. Without a motor, the platform would not be able to rotate at a controlled rate and could potentially affect the outcome of experiments.

3. What type of motor is suitable for a small clinostat?

A small, low-power DC motor is typically used for a small clinostat. This type of motor is compact, easy to control, and can provide a consistent rotation speed for extended periods of time.

4. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for my small clinostat?

The size of the motor needed for a small clinostat will depend on the weight and size of the platform, as well as the desired rotation speed. It is important to consider the torque and power requirements of the motor to ensure it can handle the load and provide the necessary speed.

5. Can I use any motor for a small clinostat?

No, not all motors are suitable for a small clinostat. It is important to choose a motor that is specifically designed for precision and control, as well as one that can handle the size and weight of the platform. It is also important to consider the power supply and any additional components needed for the motor to function properly.