What optocoupler can I use to drive a IRF840 Mosfet for LED lights?

• Thread starter Bartleboom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the user NelloBartleboom is new to electronics and is looking for an optocoupler to drive a Mosfet (IRF840) with a load of 220VDC 2A LED lights. They are unsure if they can use an optocoupler with transistor output due to the max voltage limitations and are seeking more information or resources.
Bartleboom
Good Morning,
I'm new to electronics. I'm looking for an optocoupler to drive a Mosfet (IRF840). The load is a 220VDC 2A LED lights. It should work like a switch.
Can I use an optocoupler with transistor output? I think I can't because the max voltage between emittor and collector is 70V and my load is 220VDC.
If you have some links or schematic where I can find infos please help me.

Thanks a lot.

Nello

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bartleboom, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Yes, you can use the IRF840 as your switch. Note that Mosfets have three teriminals named Source, Drain, and Gate. The IRF840 is rated to withstand a Maximum of 500 Volts Source-Drain potential difference. If you Google this part number you will find plenty of data sheets in pdf format. Check their applications notes on their last pages for examples.

Sure, you can use an optocoupler to drive the Mosfet. Good idea!

See: www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-937.pdf

Last edited:

Related to What optocoupler can I use to drive a IRF840 Mosfet for LED lights?

1. What is an optocoupler for IRF840 Mosfet?

An optocoupler for IRF840 Mosfet is an electronic component that uses light to transfer an electrical signal between two circuits. It is specifically designed to be used with the IRF840 Mosfet, a type of field-effect transistor.

2. How does an optocoupler for IRF840 Mosfet work?

The optocoupler consists of an LED on one side and a light-sensitive transistor on the other side. When an electrical current is applied to the LED, it emits light which is then detected by the transistor, causing it to conduct and allow current to flow between the two circuits.

3. What are the benefits of using an optocoupler for IRF840 Mosfet?

An optocoupler provides galvanic isolation between the two circuits it connects, meaning there is no direct electrical connection between them. This helps to prevent damage from electrical surges or fluctuations. It also allows for different voltage levels between the two circuits, making it useful for applications where different voltages are required.

4. How is an optocoupler for IRF840 Mosfet used in practical applications?

One common application is in motor control circuits, where the optocoupler can be used to isolate the control circuit from the high voltage circuit that powers the motor. It is also used in power supply circuits, to provide isolation between the low voltage control circuit and the high voltage power circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using an optocoupler for IRF840 Mosfet?

One limitation is that the speed of the optocoupler is limited by the response time of the LED and the transistor, so it may not be suitable for high-frequency applications. Additionally, the optocoupler may introduce some signal distortion due to the use of light as the signal carrier. It is important to choose the right optocoupler for the specific application to ensure optimal performance.