What other fields can one pursue in applied mathematics?

It's a good idea to talk to your professors and see what they recommend. In summary, the person is seeking advice on what field to choose for their master's degree in mathematics, specifically in the field of applied mathematics. They are considering actuarial mathematics, but are also curious about other options such as optics, nonlinear PDEs, and complex systems. They are advised to speak with their professors for more guidance.
Barioth
Hi everyone!

I'm kind of lost lately... I finish my undergrad in Pure mathematic last semester. I got accepted for master in mathematic. But I don't know what field to choose.. I'm afraid I won't be getting any job after (and sadly with my student loan, I kind of need a job hehe).

I was thinking maybe going in applied mathematic, but what field of applied mathematic can one choose? I know of actuarial mathematic... What are the other applied mathematic field?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Barioth said:
Hi everyone!

I'm kind of lost lately... I finish my undergrad in Pure mathematic last semester. I got accepted for master in mathematic. But I don't know what field to choose.. I'm afraid I won't be getting any job after (and sadly with my student loan, I kind of need a job hehe).

I was thinking maybe going in applied mathematic, but what field of applied mathematic can one choose? I know of actuarial mathematic... What are the other applied mathematic field?

Thanks

Optics, nonlinear PDEs, complex systems, etc. it depends on what is offered at your university and the interest of the professors

1. What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that involves the application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields such as science, engineering, finance, and economics.

2. What are some examples of applications of applied mathematics?

Some common examples of applications of applied mathematics include designing and analyzing algorithms, modeling and predicting natural phenomena, optimizing systems and processes, and developing statistical models for data analysis.

3. What skills are required to excel in the field of applied mathematics?

To excel in the field of applied mathematics, one must have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, programming skills, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What are the job opportunities for applied mathematicians?

Applied mathematicians can find job opportunities in various industries such as finance, technology, healthcare, and government. They can work as data analysts, operations researchers, financial analysts, mathematicians, and statisticians.

5. How is applied mathematics different from pure mathematics?

While pure mathematics focuses on developing and proving mathematical theories and concepts, applied mathematics is concerned with using these theories and concepts to solve real-world problems. Applied mathematics is more practical and has a direct impact on the real world, while pure mathematics is more theoretical in nature.