What pre-calculus needed for this calculus class?

In summary, the course "Calculus for social sciences" will cover differential and integral calculus with applications to modeling in the biological sciences. It will also introduce mathematical modeling with differential equations and calculus of several variables, including partial derivatives. For preparation, it would be beneficial to have a strong understanding of general functions, with a focus on exponential and trigonometric functions. Some review of curve sketching and long term asymptotic behavior may also be helpful. The course is expected to be a quick and broad introduction to calculus, covering differentiation, integration, and partial differentiation.
tdod
This quarter, I will take the course "Calculus for social sciences." Here's the description:
"Introduction to differential and integral calculus with applications to modeling in the biological sciences," and "study of differential and integral calculus with differential and integral calculus with applications. Introduction to mathematical modeling with differential equations. Calculus of several variables including an introduction to partial derivatives."

What pre-calculus do I need to know? I bought a quick review book, here's the table of contents. if someone could point out which things I should know, that would be incredibly helpful:

Chapter 2: Functions.
- Relations vs. Functions
- Functions Graphs and transformations
- Combining functions
- inverse functions
Chapter 3: Polynomial and Rational Functions.
- Factoring
- Solving quadratic EQs
- Polynomial division
- Important root-thereoms
- Calculating roots
- Finding rational asymptotes & the "the leading coeficcient test."
Chapter 4: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions.
- Exponential and logarithmic functions
- Properties of Logs.
- Solving Ex. and Log. functions
- Exponential word problems.
Chapter 5: Trigonometry.
- Measuring angles
- Unit circle
- Right triangle trig.
- Oblique triangle trig
- Graphs of sin and cosine
- Other trig function graphs
- inverse trig functions
Chapter 6: Analytic Trigonometry.
- Trig identities
- Proving trig identities
- Solving trig identities
- sum and difference identities
- Additional identities
- Oblique triangle laws
- Calculating triangle area.
- Given side-angle-side
Chapter 7: Vectors and the Trigonometry of Complex Numbers.
- vectors in the coordinate plane
- Dot products
- complex numbers and trig
- roots and powers of complex numbers
Chapter 8: Analytic Geometry.
- conic sections
- circles, parabolas, ellipses,
- hyperbolas
- identifying conic sections
- parametric equations
- polar coordinates
Chapter 10: Additional Topics.
- Binomial expansion
- Ordered number lists.

If someone could help me out that would be awesome, currently I am spending my whole winter breaking reviewing pre-calculus

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, mathematics used in introductory biological sciences typically involve exponential and trigonometric functions for modelling ecological models and population models. A solid foundation of general functions is of course preferred for calculus in general, but specifically a focus for this course would probably be exponential functions and trigonometric functions. I doubt the course will introduce vectors or anything involving analytic geometry.

It's useful to review some curve sketching as well, especially long term asymptotic behavior. Many models in ecology are interested only in the long term stability of the function. In general, I think the course is just going to be a quick albeit rough introduction to calculus. Since it covers differentiation, integration (and even partial differentiation) in a single course, I expect it to skim over many details.

Related to What pre-calculus needed for this calculus class?

1. What is the difference between pre-calculus and calculus?

Pre-calculus is a course that covers the fundamental concepts and skills needed for calculus, such as algebra, trigonometry, and functions. Calculus builds upon these concepts to study rates of change and the behavior of functions.

2. What specific topics from pre-calculus are important for calculus?

The most important topics from pre-calculus for calculus include algebraic manipulation, trigonometric functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, and graphing techniques.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in pre-calculus to do well in calculus?

Having a strong foundation in pre-calculus is crucial for success in calculus. It is important to understand the concepts and be able to apply them to more complex problems in calculus.

4. Can I skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus?

It is not recommended to skip pre-calculus and go straight to calculus. Pre-calculus provides the necessary skills and knowledge needed to understand and excel in calculus.

5. How can I prepare for calculus if I have not taken pre-calculus?

If you have not taken pre-calculus, it is important to review the basics of algebra, trigonometry, and functions before starting calculus. You can also consult with a teacher or tutor for additional support and resources.