What properties allow me to see past Earth's curvature?

In summary, the conversation discusses how the speaker was able to view a 193 foot building from 24 miles away, despite calculations that suggest it should have been obscured by the curvature of the Earth. The possibility of refraction and looming are mentioned as potential explanations for this observation, and there is a suggestion that the units used in the calculations may have been incorrect. A link and calculator are provided for further information.
Duda
I recently was able to view a 193 foot building from 24 miles away. The base of the building is approximately 15 feet above sea level and my eye level was approximately 9 feet above sea level. I was viewing the building across a Lake. I could see a substantial amount of the building, which seemed like 75% or even 100%, but of course the distance was so great that I couldn't get details. Based on my curvature of the Earth calculations, I should not have been able to see any of the building as ~270 feet should have been obscured by the curvature of Earth. What am I missing? Is there some kind of refraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I always have problems with Imperial Measurements (our Empire was dispensed with many years ago and so should the units have been!) Could it be that you are giving the formula you are using the wrong units for one of the dimensions? (No offence - just checking is always worth while. :smile:)
There is a good link about Looming here.

Last edited:

Related to What properties allow me to see past Earth's curvature?

1. How far can I see past Earth's curvature?

The distance you can see past Earth's curvature depends on several variables, such as your height above the ground and the weather conditions. On a clear day, standing at sea level, the horizon is approximately 3 miles away. However, if you are standing on top of a mountain or in an airplane, you may be able to see further past Earth's curvature.

2. Can I see the curvature of Earth from the ground?

Yes, you can see the curvature of Earth from the ground. The easiest way to see this is by observing a large body of water, such as the ocean or a lake. As you look towards the horizon, you will notice that the surface of the water appears to curve downwards, demonstrating the curvature of Earth.

3. What properties of light allow me to see past Earth's curvature?

Light travels in a straight line until it encounters an obstacle, such as Earth's curvature. In this case, the light is refracted, or bent, as it passes through the atmosphere. Our eyes are sensitive to this bending of light, allowing us to see objects that are beyond the curvature of Earth.

4. Does Earth's curvature affect how we see objects in the distance?

Yes, Earth's curvature can affect how we see objects in the distance. As light travels through the atmosphere, it is also subject to the effects of atmospheric refraction, which can cause objects to appear distorted or inverted. This is why distant objects may appear to be slightly higher or lower than they actually are.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact our ability to see past Earth's curvature?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact our ability to see past Earth's curvature. These include the height of the observer, the height of the object being viewed, and the curvature of the Earth itself. Weather conditions, such as fog or haze, can also impact our ability to see objects in the distance.