What properties does Baym use to derive the L commutation relation?

In summary, Baym's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics derives the formula [n.L,L]=ih L x n (where n is a unit vector). This is done by using the identity n x (r x p) + r x (p x n) + p x (n x r) = 0, which can be verified by using the theorems \left( A \times B \right)_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k and \epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{iab} = \delta_{ja}\delta_{kb} - \delta_{jb}\delta_{ka} in the three terms of the expression. It is also noted that n, being a triple of numbers, comm
univox360
In Baym's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics he derives the following formula

[n.L,L]=ih L x n

(Where n is a unit vector)

I follow everything until this line:

ih(r x (p x n)) + ih((r x n) x p) = ih (r x p) x n

I can't seem to get this to work out. What properties is he using here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show

0 = n x (r x p) + r x (p x n) + p x (n x r) ?

What you want would follow from this.

I understand, but is this identity valid since r and p do not commute? This identity is constructed using B(AC)-C(AB) which seems to change order of operation...

Try using

[tex]\left( A \times B \right)_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k[/tex]

and

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{iab} = \delta_{ja}\delta_{kb} - \delta_{jb}\delta_{ka}[/tex]

in the three terms in your expression (repeated indices are summed over). Also, n is a triple of numbers, and so commutes with r and p.

I have now done the calculation. The identity can be verified by using
George Jones said:
Try using

[tex]\left( A \times B \right)_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k[/tex]

and

[tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{iab} = \delta_{ja}\delta_{kb} - \delta_{jb}\delta_{ka}[/tex]

in the three terms in your expression (repeated indices are summed over). Also, n is a triple of numbers, and so commutes with r and p.

Yes, using that theorem this works. Thanks so much!

Related to What properties does Baym use to derive the L commutation relation?

1. What is L commutation relation in Baym's theory?

The L commutation relation is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between two operators in quantum mechanics. In Baym's theory, it is used to determine the commutator of two operators A and B, which is defined as [A, B] = AB - BA. This relation is important for studying the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How is L commutation relation related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The L commutation relation is closely related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The L commutation relation is one of the fundamental equations used to derive this principle.

3. What is the significance of L commutation relation in quantum mechanics?

The L commutation relation is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has many important applications. It is used to study the properties and behavior of particles at the quantum level, including their position, momentum, and energy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the uncertainty principle and other key principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can you explain the mathematical formulation of L commutation relation?

The L commutation relation can be expressed mathematically as [A, B] = AB - BA = iℏC, where A and B are operators, i is the imaginary unit, ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant, and C is another operator. This formulation is used to calculate the commutator of two operators and determine their relationship in the quantum system.

5. How does L commutation relation contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The L commutation relation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used to study the properties of particles and their interactions, and has led to many important discoveries in the field of quantum mechanics. Without the L commutation relation, our understanding of the quantum world would be significantly limited.