What really is a Pascal and a Joule?

In summary, a pascal is a unit of pressure and can be thought of as force per unit area. A joule is a unit of energy or work and can be thought of as a force applied over a distance. These are important concepts in thermo and have been previously covered in introductory physics courses.
Paul J
Hi forum,

First time poster. I'm in thermo this year and it's the first time working with pascals and joules. My teacher and most post just jump right into the equations, 1Pa = 1N/m^2 and 1J = 1N * M. But what really is a pascal? I get what a N is, force to move 1kg*m/s^2. If I convert N, I get 1Pa = (1kg*m/s^2)/m^2.

Solving further I get 1Pa = 1kg/s^2*m (1m on top cancels 1m on bottom, if I recall algebra correctly).

Can someone please explain what that means, in terms of a sheet of metal or something?

Same with a joule, convert N and its 1kg*m^2/s^2.

When I see something ^2, I immediately think "Ok, this is 2d we are talking about over the surface of a meter^2 ect.", same with ^3 "Ok, this thing has a volume in 3d space we are talking about". It's just how my mind seems to think about it.

Sorry if I'm approaching this wrong or should think of a N more abstractly. I just like to understand things better in 3d/2d algebraic sense and physics is based in that. Can anyone explain those 2 in context or real world? I just hate plug and chug, not knowing really what I'm "saying" to myself with a final answer.

Thanks,
Paul J.

Physics news on Phys.org
A pascal is a unit of pressure, something which will come up a lot in your thermo classes. Pressure is defined as force (N) per unit area (m2). Remember, in SI, the force unit is also a derived unit.

If you check the pressure in a car or bicycle tire, the gauge will read in units of kPa probably. Atmospheric pressure is approximately 101 kPa.

The joule is the SI unit of energy or work. It is defined as the amount of work performed by a force of 1 N applied over a distance of 1 meter. You will also encounter work quite frequently in your study of thermo.

I find it quite unlikely that you have not studied or encountered pressure or work before taking your first thermo course. Typically, an introductory physics course covers these topics.

Newton is a unit of measure for force so think F=ma meaning that the Newton is related to accelerating a mass and where accelerating is a changing velocity over time hence (m/s)/s or m/s^2 so the Newton then is kg m/s^2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(unit)

The Pascal is a unit of measure for pressure and pressure is force on an area. For one pascal its one Newton of force per square meter or ( kgm/s^2 / m^2 ) or (kg/ms^2)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit)

Last edited:
It seems as thought you have the idea of a Newton down, but I think what's confusing you is you're canceling units within Netwons.

Just think of a pascal as N/m^2. the m^2 comes from the fact that a pascal is force per unit Area (that's where that 2d thing you were talking about comes in). So if I have a piece of metal, like a bucket or something, and I let water sit inside of it, that water is going to exert a force on the bucket, but sometimes it's more useful to look at that force divided by the area rather than the total force.

The same with Joule's. Don't think of it as Kg*m^2/s^2, think about it as a force being applied over a distance. Joule is energy, and an external force does work on an object by an amount of ##W=F\cdot ds## where F is the force and ds is a small chunk of the path that it travels (a line is 1d).

Hi Paul,

A pascal (Pa) is a unit of pressure, named after the French mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal. It is defined as 1 newton per square meter (N/m^2), which means it is the amount of force exerted over an area of 1 square meter. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much force is applied to a given area.

To understand this in the context of real world objects, imagine a sheet of metal being pressed down by a heavy weight. The weight exerts a force on the sheet, and the pressure it creates is measured in pascals. The more force is applied, the higher the pressure in pascals.

Now, let's talk about joules (J). A joule is a unit of energy, named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule. It is defined as 1 newton-meter (N*m), which means it is the amount of work done when a force of 1 newton is applied over a distance of 1 meter. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much energy is transferred when a force is applied over a distance.

To understand this in the context of real world objects, imagine lifting a heavy object from the ground to a shelf. The amount of energy you use to lift the object is measured in joules. The heavier the object or the higher the shelf, the more energy is needed in joules.

I hope this helps to clarify the concepts of pascals and joules for you. It's great that you are trying to understand the underlying meaning behind these equations, as it will help you apply them more effectively in your studies of thermodynamics. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Pascal?

A Pascal is a unit of measurement for pressure, named after the French mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal. It is equal to one Newton per square meter.

2. What is a Joule?

A Joule is a unit of measurement for energy, named after the English physicist James Prescott Joule. It is defined as the amount of work done by a force of one Newton acting over a distance of one meter.

3. What is the relationship between Pascal and Joule?

Pascal and Joule are related through the concept of pressure and work. Pressure is measured in Pascals, while work is measured in Joules. Pressure is the amount of force applied over a certain area, while work is the product of force and distance. Therefore, one Pascal is equal to one Joule per cubic meter.

4. How are Pascals and Joules used in science?

Pascals and Joules are commonly used in many areas of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Pascals are used to measure pressure in gases and liquids, while Joules are used to measure energy in various forms, such as heat, light, and electricity.

5. Can Pascals and Joules be converted into other units?

Yes, Pascals and Joules can be converted into other units of measurement. For example, Pascals can be converted into atmospheres, millimeters of mercury, or pounds per square inch. Joules can be converted into other units of energy, such as calories or kilowatt-hours.