What really is TIME?Is it an illusion?

• Thread starter gabrielgowriel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and its relation to physics. The individual wonders about the passing of time and the inability to freeze it, and questions what time really is. The conversation also touches on the idea of time being a dynamical field and the concept of relativity. The conversation concludes by acknowledging that the discussion may be more philosophical in nature.
gabrielgowriel
Hello everybody!
I was wondering these days while resting on a bed , thinking about my sister and her 3 year old girl, my parents which are getting old now beeing 63 and 61(dad and mom),thinking about my childhood from the 1990's which has passed SO FAST(or is it just me?!), thinking about the moment I started to write this post , the moment I AM typing this post and the moment that I WILL type some more words here on this forum!
What do you SMART physics guys and girls think about time?
What really is it?!
Because I feel sorry for "contemplating" at how my life goes by and I can't do a thing to "freeze it" at least for a moment or more(years if possible)...
I feel "sorry" because all the good moments pass away, all my relatives get old and eventually die,all the happines goes away , beeing replaced by sadness and many thoughts of "WHY"?!
I suppose this notion of "time" , has A LOT to do with physics because it doesn't really looks like chemistry, mathematics or biology...
So, I hope this question hasn't been asked so far or at least "lately" and someone here could offer a reasonable answer to my "dilema"/question...
Thank you all in advance!
:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody knows just what time is.

Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once.

Special relativity weakens the notion of absolute time; general relativity weakens it further.
Relativity shows time is not constant...and varies between observers due to relative speed and or differences in gravitational potential. This means space-time is a dynamical field.

Rovelli:
...we learn from GR that spacetime is a dynamical field and we learn from QM that all dynamical fields are quantized.

Yet in the wonderful Wheeler-Dewitt quantum mechanical equation there is no time variable!

PS: there are a lot of discussions you can find i9n these forums on 'time'.

Just for the sake of interesting pathological examples, in general relativity you can, in principle, come up with space - times where there is no unambiguous notion of going "forward" or "backward" in time. It has no uniquely defined direction. Anyways, it seems like what you are asking is more philosophy than it is physics the way you phrased it as of now.

Sorry, we don't have a philosophy section here.

I understand your curiosity about the concept of time and its perceived passing. Time is a fundamental aspect of our universe and is a key component in many scientific theories and equations. However, the concept of time is also a complex and debated topic among physicists and philosophers alike.

First, it's important to understand that time is a human construct. We use it to measure the duration of events and to organize our lives. But this doesn't necessarily mean that time is an illusion. It is a very real and tangible experience for us, even if it may not exist in the same way for other beings or in other parts of the universe.

In physics, time is often described as the fourth dimension, along with the three dimensions of space. This allows us to understand the movement and interactions of objects in our universe. However, some theories, such as Einstein's theory of relativity, suggest that time is not a constant and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.

In terms of your personal experiences with time, it is important to remember that our perception of time is subjective. When we are engaged in enjoyable activities, time may seem to pass quickly, while in moments of boredom or pain, it may feel like it is dragging on. This is because our brains are constantly processing and interpreting our surroundings, which can affect our perception of time.

In summary, while the concept of time may seem elusive and mysterious, it is a fundamental aspect of our universe and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the world around us. As scientists, we continue to study and explore the nature of time, but for now, it remains a fascinating and complex concept.

1. What is the scientific definition of time?

Time is a fundamental physical quantity that measures the progression of events and the duration between them. It is often defined as the fourth dimension, along with length, width, and height, in the space-time continuum.

2. Is time an illusion?

While our perception of time may be subjective, time itself is not an illusion. It is a measurable and quantifiable aspect of the universe that governs the behavior of matter and energy.

3. How does time relate to the theory of relativity?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is not absolute but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative motion and gravitational fields.

4. Can time travel be possible?

The concept of time travel is currently a topic of debate and speculation among scientists. While the laws of physics do not prohibit time travel, the technology and understanding required to achieve it are currently beyond our capabilities.

5. How can we measure time?

Time can be measured using various methods such as clocks, calendars, and atomic clocks. The most accurate and precise way to measure time is through atomic clocks, which use the vibrations of atoms to keep time. Other methods, such as astronomical observations and sand timers, have also been used throughout history to measure time.