What should I consider when searching for a high voltage power supply?

In summary, the person is looking for a high voltage power supply to generate an electric field between two points a few inches apart. They do not have experience with such equipment and are seeking general suggestions for what to look for. They are not looking for the most expensive supplies and would like the voltage strength to be adjustable. They also clarify that they only need a field and not a strong discharge. They are open to using an AC field if it would suffice and mention a plasma ball as a potential option. They are asked to provide more information about their application in order to receive more specific suggestions.
mortega
I'm looking for a high voltage power supply. I have no experience with such a power supply, nor with all the terms or specifications used for such tools, so I'm looking for general suggestions to what to look for.

I want to generate an electric field or potential field between two points a few inches apart. I assume I can do that theoretically with a battery - because there is electrical potential between the battery poles. But I'm looking for high voltage. Not looking for the most expensive supplies, but nice if the voltage strength can be adjusted.

I don't need a strong field that might discharge, just a field.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

As you say, any source including a battery can create an electric field. Hugh voltage means different things to different people. How high do you want and why? If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish, we can give better answers.

Likes jim hardy
mortega said:
I'm looking for a high voltage power supply. I have no experience with such a power supply, nor with all the terms or specifications used for such tools, so I'm looking for general suggestions to what to look for.
Please tell us the application, so we can make suggestions appropriate for your background. Thank you. :smile:

What factors should I consider when choosing a high voltage power supply?

When searching for a high voltage power supply, there are several important factors to consider. These include the voltage and current requirements of your application, the stability and precision of the output, the size and weight of the power supply, and the safety features and certifications of the device.

What is the difference between AC and DC high voltage power supplies?

AC (alternating current) high voltage power supplies provide a continuously varying output voltage, while DC (direct current) high voltage power supplies provide a constant output voltage. AC power supplies are typically used for applications that require high voltage but low current, while DC power supplies are better suited for high current applications.

How do I determine the appropriate voltage and current ratings for my high voltage power supply?

The voltage and current ratings of a high voltage power supply should be chosen based on the specific requirements of your application. This may include the voltage and current levels needed to power your device, as well as any safety or regulatory standards that must be met.

What safety features should I look for in a high voltage power supply?

When selecting a high voltage power supply, it is important to consider the safety features that are included. These may include overvoltage and overcurrent protection, grounding options, and certifications such as UL or CE compliance. It is also important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines when working with high voltage power supplies.

What are some common applications for high voltage power supplies?

High voltage power supplies are used in a wide range of applications, including scientific research, medical equipment, industrial processes, and telecommunications. They are often used to power devices such as x-ray machines, particle accelerators, and electronic components that require high voltage for their operation.