What should I say about elementary number theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of elementary number theory, specifically its focus on positive integers and primes. The speaker plans to include applications of cryptography and is seeking a good hook for the introduction. The Chinese Remainder Theorem and Burnside's Lemma are mentioned as interesting concepts related to this topic.
matqkks
I need to give an option talk about elementary number theory module. I will discuss how it is study of positive integers particularly the primes and give some cryptography applications. What is a good hook to stipulate in this talk regarding an introduction to elementary number theory?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Chinese Remainder Theorem - always fun. Counting things without actually counting them!

tkhunny said:
Chinese Remainder Theorem - always fun. Counting things without actually counting them!
I really like this. Are there any others?

matqkks said:
I really like this. Are there any others?

Counting things without actually counting them?
That brings Burnside's Lemma to mind.
It counts for instance the number of different colorings of a string of colored beads - without actually counting them.

1. What is elementary number theory?

Elementary number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of whole numbers. It focuses on basic concepts such as prime numbers, divisibility, and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic.

2. Why is elementary number theory important?

Elementary number theory is important because it serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and theories. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, cryptography, and coding theory.

3. What are some key concepts in elementary number theory?

Some key concepts in elementary number theory include prime numbers, divisibility, congruence, and the Euclidean algorithm. These concepts are used to prove theorems and solve problems related to number theory.

4. How is elementary number theory used in real life?

Elementary number theory has many real-life applications, such as in cryptography for secure communication, in coding theory for error correction, and in banking for secure transactions. It is also used in computer science for algorithms and data structures.

5. What are some famous theorems in elementary number theory?

Some famous theorems in elementary number theory include the Euclidean algorithm, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, Fermat's little theorem, and the Chinese remainder theorem. These theorems have had a significant impact on mathematics and its applications.