What should I say about elementary number theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of elementary number theory and its study of positive integers, specifically primes, as well as its applications in cryptography. The speaker is looking for a good hook for an introduction to this topic and asks about the target audience's background in number theory or discrete math. The response suggests keeping the talk simple and giving an example of the difficulty in finding prime decompositions, followed by an explanation of the RSA principle.
matqkks
TL;DR Summary
Motivating talk.
I need to give an option talk about elementary number theory module. I will discuss how it is study of positive integers particularly the primes and give some cryptography applications. What is a good hook to stipulate in this talk regarding an introduction to elementary number theory?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is your target audience? Did they have a number theory/discrete math course already?

Here is what you can do if they have not really a background in number theory:

Keep things simple!

Everyone can multiply two (big prime) numbers together (given enough time).

But, given a (big) number that is the product of two primes, give an example where it is hard to find the two primes that were multiplied together. Explain that this is in general a very hard problem. No algorithms exist (yet) to find prime decompositions efficiently. Proceed with the RSA principle.

Likes matqkks
Thanks for this. I will definitely include this in my talk.

1. What is elementary number theory?

Elementary number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of positive integers and their properties. It involves concepts such as prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

2. Why is elementary number theory important?

Elementary number theory is important because it forms the foundation for many other areas of mathematics, such as algebra and geometry. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.

3. What are some basic concepts in elementary number theory?

Some basic concepts in elementary number theory include prime numbers, composite numbers, divisibility, greatest common divisor, least common multiple, and modular arithmetic.

4. How is elementary number theory used in cryptography?

Elementary number theory is used in cryptography to create and break codes. It is used to generate large prime numbers, which are essential for creating secure encryption keys. It also involves concepts such as modular arithmetic, which is used in algorithms for encrypting and decrypting messages.

5. What are some real-life applications of elementary number theory?

Aside from cryptography, elementary number theory has many other real-life applications. It is used in computer science for tasks such as error-correcting codes and data compression. It is also used in economics for analyzing financial markets and making predictions. In addition, number theory plays a role in music theory and the design of musical instruments.