What software can I use to make space-time diagrams?

In summary, Dale will be explaining the Twin Paradox and the Pole-in-a-Barn paradox using spacetime diagrams in a few days. He is looking for software that can help him create the graphics, and has tried PowerPoint and Maple, but found them both unsuitable. Geogebra and Desmos are both useful for creating spacetime diagrams.
phoenix-anna
TL;DR Summary
For spacetime diagrams like those is Spacetime Physics, matplotlib and PowerPoint are likely not suitable.
In a few days, I will be hosting a Zoom-based meetup in which I will be explaining the Twin Paradox (time dilatation) and the Pole-in-a-Barn paradox (Lorentz contraction). To this end, I will need to make graphics of space-time diagrams like those in Wheeler's book Spacetime Physics. Can anyone suggest software that will be useful for this purpose? My experience with PowerPoint suggests that it is unsuitable and, since the axes are no longer perpendicular, most plotting software (such as Python's matplotlib) will likely also not be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I find geogebra very useful for spacetime diagrams. You can program everything in terms of formulae, introduce interactive elements to change parameters, etc. For interactive use it's pretty comfortable. To make pdfs for your manuscripts is a bit cumbersome but also possible.

Likes robphy and FactChecker
phoenix-anna said:
Summary:: For spacetime diagrams like those is Spacetime Physics, matplotlib and PowerPoint are likely not suitable.

Can anyone suggest software that will be useful for this purpose? My experience with PowerPoint suggests that it is unsuitable
I am not sure why you think that. My first spacetime diagrams were in PowerPoint. I use mostly Mathematica now.

For PowerPoint turn on snap to grid and use v = 0.6 c so that everything is nicely on the grid.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, robphy and Vanadium 50
I'll give a list of some of what I have used.
But, of course, you need to decide what you want to draw,
and how you want to draw it and maybe share it,
and consider how easy it is for you to do it.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
I am not sure why you think that. My first spacetime diagrams were in PowerPoint. I use mostly Mathematica now.

For PowerPoint turn on snap to grid and use v = 0.6 c so that everything is nicely on the grid.
Sure, you can use any software that's capable making plots to make spacetime diagrams. Another way is of course gnuplot. My suggestion of geogebra was mainly based on the purpose to use it in some online-lecture (e.g., via zoom), where geogebra has the advantage that you can prepare it beforehand and interactively easily changing parameters with "sliders" etc.

Last edited:
Likes robphy
phoenix-anna said:
since the axes are no longer perpendicular, most plotting software (such as Python's matplotlib) will likely also not be useful.

The strategy I used to deal with the Minkowski-perpendicular (but not necessarily Euclidean-perpendicular) axes is to think and compute vectorially.
First, determine the basis-vectors (and related structures, like my clock diamonds),
then express everything else as multiples or sequences of those basis-vectors.

Effecting a boost is achieved by boosting the basis-vectors.
While the diagram may appear deformed in the diagram frame,
the multiples of those basis vectors (i.e, the components in the original frames) won't change.

1. What is a space-time diagram?

A space-time diagram is a visual representation of the relationship between space and time. It is used to illustrate the motion of objects in space and how it changes over time.

2. What software is commonly used to create space-time diagrams?

There are a few software options that are commonly used to make space-time diagrams, such as Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Visio, and Google Drawings. These programs offer a variety of tools and features to create accurate and detailed diagrams.

3. Can I use free software to make space-time diagrams?

Yes, there are some free software options available for creating space-time diagrams. Some examples include Inkscape, Draw.io, and GIMP. These programs may not have as many features as paid software, but they can still produce high-quality diagrams.

4. Are there any specific features I should look for in software for making space-time diagrams?

Yes, there are a few key features to consider when choosing software for creating space-time diagrams. These include the ability to create and manipulate shapes, add labels and text, and adjust the scale and proportions of the diagram.

5. Can I use any type of data to create a space-time diagram?

Yes, space-time diagrams can be created using a variety of data, such as measurements of distance and time, coordinates, or even theoretical data. The type of data used will depend on the purpose and context of the diagram.