What Tax Breaks Can Students Claim When Filing Taxes?

In summary: You may qualify for the American Opportunity Credit if you had earned income in the past two years that is less than $65,000 ($130,000 for joint filers). You may be able to use the credit to reduce your federal income taxes by up to $2,500.
dreiter
I am wondering if anyone here could provide some information about filing taxes as a student? It's my first year doing it, and I am wondering what tax breaks I am eligible for. I have been reading "this"[/URL] but I'm not quite sure which items I benefit for and which will give me the most benefit! I figured there must be a few students on here who file. Any help would be appreciated! :D

I only earned $700 in income last year (workstudy) and everything else was loans and grants. My questions are:
1. Do I qualify for a tax credit AND a tax deduction?
2. Will a tax deduction even do anything for me?
3. What credit/deduction is the best for most students?
4. Can I use a 1040EZ with a credit/deduction or must I file a 1040A?
5. Did the stimulus bill/education bill provide anything new for this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dreiter said:
I only earned $700 in income last year (workstudy) and everything else was loans and grants.
Some of those grants may be taxable. You had better check; it may bump your income a lot (not hard with only $700 in income).

My questions are:
2. Will a tax deduction even do anything for me?
Regarding deductions, all you need is the standard deduction -- if you are eligible. Are your parent(s) claiming you as a deduction?

5. Did the stimulus bill/education bill provide anything new for this year?
Yes, big time. You, or your parent(s), really, really want to look into the American Opportunity Credit. That includes a "refundable" credit. So WTF is a refundable credit? You probably paid next to nothing in taxes on that $700 income. A refundable credit means you can receive a "refund" on money you never paid to the IRS. Disguised welfare, but do take advantage of it.

If your parent(s) can claim you as a deductable, they, rather than you, are the ones who can claim this credit.

Are you able to claim the american opportunity credit for tuition that was paid for by government loans/grants?

1. How does being a student affect my taxes?

As a student, you may be eligible for certain tax credits and deductions, such as the American Opportunity Tax Credit or the Student Loan Interest Deduction. It's important to keep track of your education expenses and any income you may have received during the tax year.

2. Do I need to file taxes if I am a student?

If you earned any income during the tax year, you are required to file taxes, regardless of your student status. However, if your income falls below a certain threshold, you may not owe any taxes or be required to file a return.

3. Can I claim myself as a dependent on my tax return?

If you are a full-time student under the age of 24 and your parents provide financial support for at least half of your living expenses, they can claim you as a dependent on their taxes. If you provide more than half of your own support, you can claim yourself as a dependent.

4. What documents do I need to file my taxes as a student?

You will need to gather all of your tax forms, such as your W-2 from any jobs you had during the year, as well as any education-related documents, such as Form 1098-T from your school. It's also helpful to have records of any education expenses you paid for out of pocket.

5. Can I file my taxes for free as a student?

Yes, there are several options for filing your taxes for free as a student, including using free online software or utilizing free tax preparation services offered by the IRS. Just make sure to check the eligibility requirements and choose the option that best fits your situation.