What tells us photons were ever in a superposition in EPR

In summary: The "property" is not something that can be measured on a single photon. It is, in effect, a correlation between photons.In summary, the EPR experiment shows that entanglement is a real phenomenon and provides insight into the nature of quantum objects. The twin photons in the experiment start off in a superposition, and we can prove this through correlations between their spin properties. This contradicts the idea that the particles acquired their spin properties at the moment of measurement. The Bell inequalities also suggest that the properties of photons between measurements are nonlocal and can only be understood through correlations between entangled particles.
Andrew Wright
Hi,

I know that entanglement is real and that it tells us something profound about the nature of quantum objects like electrons and photons. I can't explain to a family member how we know that two twin photons in the EPR experiment started off in a superposition. In other words, how do we know that the photons acquired their spin up/down properties when measured? Am I wrong about it?

Please help

Thanks

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
When we do the EPR experiment, we don't just start with two random photons. We start with two very carefully prepared photons that result from the decay of a known state. So we know that their spins are correlated.

Andrew Wright said:
I know that entanglement is real and that it tells us something profound about the nature of quantum objects like electrons and photons. I can't explain to a family member how we know that two twin photons in the EPR experiment started off in a superposition. In other words, how do we know that the photons acquired their spin up/down properties when measured?

One's initial reaction is that the 2 particles acquired their spin properties at T=0 (when initially entangled). However, that simple assumption leads to a contradiction with experiment. That contradiction was first discovered by John Bell, around 30 years after the EPR paper (and about 10 years after Einstein's death).

Look up Bell's Theorem, or alternately go to a web page I created which will give you a minimally taxing explanation:

http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Easy_Math.htm

Sadly, this is not the kind of thing you can explain over a family dinner. :smile:

Thanks for your time and patience :)

Andrew Wright said:
Hi,

I know that entanglement is real and that it tells us something profound about the nature of quantum objects like electrons and photons. I can't explain to a family member how we know that two twin photons in the EPR experiment started off in a superposition. In other words, how do we know that the photons acquired their spin up/down properties when measured? Am I wrong about it?

Please help

Thanks

Andrew

In the EPR scenario, you can prove that they started off in a superposition because if they were in a classically correlated mixture (e.g., sending out randomly spin-up pairs or spin-down pairs), the correlations could only be so strong. This comes from assuming the uncertainty principle is correct. For spin-1/2 observables, the uncertainty principle would say that the particle cannot have both a perfectly defined horizontal component of spin and a vertical component of spin. This uncertainty principle also holds true when conditioning on a third variable (whatever variable determines whether up-up is sent or down-down), and because of this, the conditional uncertainties (i.e., the uncertainty of measuring the spin of B conditioned on the outcome of A) would also have to obey the same limit.

However, there's no real limit to the correlations between these observables, so if you measure near-perfect correlations between the two spins no matter how you orient your measurement axis (e.g., horizontal/vertical), then you rule out the possibility that there's a classical explanation of the correlations, and they must indeed be in an entangled superposition.

Last edited:
Andrew Wright said:

In an EPR experiment, the photons are entangled before measurement. However, that does not mean that "the photons acquired their spin up/down properties when measured". The theory is silent about what properties photons have between measurements. What the EPR experiment and the violation of the Bell inequalities say is that (given some conventional assumptions) if photons have properties between measurements, then the properties are nonlocal.

1. What is a superposition in EPR?

A superposition in EPR (Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen) refers to the concept that two particles, after being entangled, can have their properties linked regardless of the distance between them. This means that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances.

2. How do we know that photons were ever in a superposition in EPR?

Scientists can determine if photons were ever in a superposition in EPR by conducting experiments that demonstrate the phenomenon of entanglement. These experiments involve measuring the properties of two entangled particles and observing the correlation between them, which can only be explained by the particles being in a superposition.

3. What evidence supports the existence of superposition in EPR?

There is a significant body of evidence from various experiments that supports the existence of superposition in EPR. These include Bell's inequality experiments, quantum teleportation experiments, and tests of the violation of local realism.

4. Can superposition in EPR be observed in everyday life?

No, superposition in EPR is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. It requires highly controlled laboratory conditions and specialized equipment to detect and measure.

5. How does superposition in EPR relate to quantum entanglement?

Superposition in EPR is a consequence of quantum entanglement, which is the phenomenon where two or more particles become correlated in their properties, even when separated by large distances. Superposition in EPR is a crucial element in understanding and utilizing quantum entanglement for various applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.