What textbooks should I do in Physics if I'm in High School

In summary, the speaker is currently a high school student in India and wants to learn Physics in order to compete in local and possibly international Physics Olympiads. They have a strong grasp of mathematics, including calculus, and have noticed that their problem-solving skills improve when they do practice problems. They mention two resources for learning Physics: the free OpenStax.org University 3 volume physics ebook for freshman level Physics and the book Goldstein for classical mechanics at the Junior college level, which the speaker's friend used to solve problems using Lagrangians and Hamiltonians. The book also covers Calculus of Variations.
KingOfDirewolves
I'm currently in High School and I want to learn Physics for clearing our local Physics Olympiad then possibly the IPhO. I'm a 11th Grade Student in India. My math is quite strong so I have no problem is using Calculus. I have also noticed that my problem solving skills improve only when I do problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
For freshman level Physics, there's the free OpenStax.org University 3 volume physics ebook.

for classical mechanics at the Junior college level there's Goldstein. I had a friend who in high school worked through its problems, this was my first real intro to how physics is done using Lagrangians and Hamiltonians to solve some cool problems. It also had some Calculus of Variations I think too.

Likes KingOfDirewolves

1. What are the most commonly used textbooks for high school physics?

Some of the most commonly used textbooks for high school physics include "Conceptual Physics" by Paul Hewitt, "Physics: Principles and Problems" by Paul Zitzewitz, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick.

2. What is the difference between AP Physics and regular high school physics textbooks?

The main difference between AP Physics and regular high school physics textbooks is the level of depth and complexity. AP Physics textbooks are designed for students who are preparing for the AP Physics exam, which covers more advanced topics and requires a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any online resources or digital textbooks available for high school physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and digital textbooks available for high school physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and OpenStax.

4. How can I choose the best textbook for my learning style?

The best way to choose a textbook that suits your learning style is to first identify what type of learner you are. Do you prefer visual aids, practice problems, or real-life examples? Once you know your learning style, you can research different textbooks and see which ones align with your preferences.

5. Are there any textbooks specifically designed for students who struggle with physics?

Yes, there are textbooks specifically designed for students who struggle with physics. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Douglas Giancoli and "College Physics for Students of Biology and Chemistry" by Kenneth R. Koehler. These textbooks often provide more detailed explanations and additional practice problems to help students grasp difficult concepts.