What the difference between pin and pn diodes i-v curve?

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between regular p-n junction diodes and p-i-n junction diodes, with the main difference being the larger resistance of the intrinsic layer in p-i-n diodes. The conversation also touched on the characteristics of forward bias resistance and junction capacitance in both types of diodes. To further understand the forward bias resistance of p-i-n diodes, the conversation suggested looking into the [PDF]PIN Diode Fundamentals - Microsemi.
avner yakov
For my understanding there should be no big difference in i-v curve between regular p-n junction and p-i-n junction, the only difference i can think about is do to the bigger resistance of the intrinsic layer. The curve should look the same only the current will rise little bit slower, because of the resistance. Am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Differences between pin diodes and p-n junction diodes exist in the characteristics of the forward bias resistance and the junction capacitance under reverse bias.

Lord Jestocost said:
Differences between pin diodes and p-n junction diodes exist in the characteristics of the forward bias resistance and the junction capacitance under reverse bias.
But how we ca characterize the forward bias resistance of p-i-n diode?

Likes avner yakov

1. What is a pin diode?

A pin diode is a type of semiconductor diode that consists of three layers: a p-type layer, an intrinsic (undoped) layer, and an n-type layer. This structure allows for a wider depletion region, making it useful for high-frequency and high-power applications.

2. What is a pn diode?

A pn diode is a type of semiconductor diode that consists of two layers: a p-type layer and an n-type layer. This structure creates a depletion region that prevents current flow in one direction, making it useful for rectification and switching applications.

3. What is the difference between pin and pn diodes?

The main difference between pin and pn diodes lies in their structure and use. A pin diode has an additional intrinsic layer, making it suitable for high-frequency and high-power applications, while a pn diode is used for rectification and switching purposes.

4. What is the i-v curve of a pin diode?

The i-v (current-voltage) curve of a pin diode is a graph that shows the relationship between the current flowing through the diode and the voltage applied to it. It is similar to that of a standard pn diode, but the slope of the curve is steeper due to the wider depletion region in a pin diode.

5. How does the i-v curve of a pn diode differ from that of a pin diode?

The i-v curve of a pn diode has a more gradual slope compared to that of a pin diode because of the narrower depletion region. Additionally, the pn diode has a higher breakdown voltage and lower capacitance compared to a pin diode.