What to brush up on? Modern Physics I and Vector Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the courses PHYS 3315: Modern Physics I and MATH 3335: Vector Analysis. The prerequisites for these courses are listed, as well as the topics that will be covered in each course. Additionally, there is a mention of reviewing energy and momentum concepts and basic wave functions for modern physics. The conversation also clarifies the difference between calculus-based and algebra-based introductory physics courses.
Shackleford
I'm taking these next semester. I'm taking Differential Equations right now, so I'll have that under my belt.

PHYS 3315: Modern Physics I
Cr. 3. (3-0). Prerequisites: PHYS 1301 and 1302, or PHYS 1322, and credit for or concurrent enrollment in MATH 3331. The fundamental concepts of quantum physics and relativity. Applications to atomic structure and spectra, black body radiation, solid state physics, and nuclei.

MATH 3335: Vector Analysis
Cr. 3. (3-0). Prerequisite: MATH 2433 or approval of department chair. Algebra and calculus of vectors, vector differential operators, Green's and Stokes' theorems, curvilinear coordinates, tensors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? lol.

I assume 1301 and 1302 are a standard calculus-based intro (classical) physics sequence. For modern physics, I'd suggest reviewing energy and momentum concepts. If you covered the -1/r potential energy function for electrostatics and/or gravity, you'll probably need that when you get to the hydrogen atom. And when you get to Schrödinger's equation, you'll be using basic wave functions like [itex]\cos (kx - \omega t)[/itex]. And complex numbers.

jtbell said:
I assume 1301 and 1302 are a standard calculus-based intro (classical) physics sequence. For modern physics, I'd suggest reviewing energy and momentum concepts. If you covered the -1/r potential energy function for electrostatics and/or gravity, you'll probably need that when you get to the hydrogen atom. And when you get to Schrödinger's equation, you'll be using basic wave functions like [itex]\cos (kx - \omega t)[/itex]. And complex numbers.

Actually, the cal-based courses are 1321 and 1322, University Physics I and II, which I took. Phys 1301 and 1302 are the algebra-based courses, General Physics I and II.

I'll jump on those chapters once this semester is over. Thanks for the info.

1. What is Modern Physics I?

Modern Physics I is a course that covers the fundamental concepts and theories of modern physics, including topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and atomic and nuclear physics.

2. Why is it important to brush up on Modern Physics I?

Brushing up on Modern Physics I is important for several reasons. It helps to deepen your understanding of the fundamental laws and principles of physics, which can be applied to a wide range of fields and industries. It also prepares you for more advanced courses in physics and related fields.

3. What is Vector Analysis?

Vector Analysis is a mathematical tool used to describe and analyze vectors in three-dimensional space. It involves operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication of vectors, as well as the calculation of dot and cross products.

4. How does Vector Analysis relate to Modern Physics I?

Vector Analysis is an essential tool for understanding and solving problems in Modern Physics I. Many concepts in modern physics, such as forces, motions, and electric and magnetic fields, are described and analyzed using vectors.

5. What are some resources for brushing up on Modern Physics I and Vector Analysis?

There are several resources available for brushing up on Modern Physics I and Vector Analysis. These include textbooks, online courses and tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, and review sessions offered by universities or tutoring services. Additionally, seeking help from a professor or tutor can also be beneficial in understanding these topics.