What To Do With A Box of 'Essential Oils'?

• Thread starter Ignitia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary: We've seen lots of outlandish and apparently ridiculous claims; not all of them have turned out to have been false (e.g. germ theory of disease); we should check how well or how poorly a claim is justified, on a case-by-case basis, before accepting or rejecting it.Even so, a claim to have found a previously undiscovered 'cure' for autism, unless the claim is extremely well supported, is at best something that has at its origin an irresponsible and disrespectful claim, and more likely is something that originated from deliberate flimflam.

Likes sysprog and Nik_2213
Physics news on Phys.org
sysprog said:
If I were your academic advisor, I would have to apprise of you of the fact that claiming presented polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons ('tars') to be your own extractions, without proper acknowledgment of the fact that your source materials were already 'extracts', and without due and proper credit being accorded to the prior extractors thereof, might be a violation of the contra-plagiarism policies of the venerable academic instititution.

...I was just thinking about separating the solutions, trying an experiment, or testing it with a chemistry kit, not stick a patent on it.

Ignitia said:
...I was just thinking about separating the solutions, trying an experiment, or testing it with a chemistry kit, not stick a patent on it.
I didn't mean to be reproachful -- I was partly just poking fun on account of your being a student -- in truth, I admire the intrepidity of you young folks who are willing to work so strongly to learn, and perhaps to find something new to us all -- and if you do think that you've perhaps found something potentially profitable, please don't be too shy to run a few questions past a patent attorney in exploring your possible claims; it's recently become easier and less expensive to get some important preliminary steps done in the process.

I would start by listening to the recent "Behind the Bastards" (the podcast) episode about Gary Young who was the con-artist (and baby murderer) who popularised essential oils (and became very, very rich in the process).

There is this updated version of the classic children's game:

article-4384-1.jpg

Use the book for heating. Burn it while playing music by Enya.

DennisN said:
Do you know there's a hilarious Deepak Chopra quote generator on the net? Here it is: http://wisdomofchopra.com/
It makes me smile every time I use it. :smile:
Chopra = Ch(opra). Coincidence?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
@Rive: I know it is late in the day for this, but do you happen to remember which ones kept the cats out? I happen to like cats, but keep mine in and prefer birds in the garden. Even more important have you found any that keep rabbits out?

As far as the rest goes. I've never heard that aromatherapy really does anything good, but have limited evidence (n=1) that it can cause problems: 1) One can have an allergy to any of the substances used. 2) I personally have gotten migraines from some the scents in the past (and I don't get migraines easily).

I have no experience with rabbits. I know (?) that male rabbits also using urine as personal marking, but I have no idea how would they react.

Also, I don't think this method would work on your cats: most likely it would just make them proud that their humin is so strong and handsome that the garden is kept clean of competitors.

I don't think that the smell itself really matters (apart from chili, of course: but that's already warfare and not just ownership declaration).

Well, I wasn't asking about my cats (although it might be interesting to see if one could keep them within one's own garden as opposed to running loose, terrorizing the birds and neighbors), since whenever I have cats, they are kept indoors or on a leash.

I'll have to try with rabbits, but I suspect that with the excess rain we tend to get, any oils will get washed off the plants. . .

For rabbits try Coyote urine. Available at both Home Depot in the US and Amazon and Walmart where ever they will ship. A Google search finds 3,000,000 more hits.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please let us know how it works.

Thank you Tom.G, but I probably won't. I don't feel that game and fur farms are humane. I was interested in whether essential oils (the topic of the post). I can tell you that planting spring garlic around my peas seemed to work last year (I had plenty of rabbits, but the peas were not touched), so if there was an essential "garlic" oil, that might work. . .

So far I have never seen a "garlic" essential oil among essential oils despite its many touted beneficial qualities. Maybe the new agers are missing an opportunity?

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
celvet said:
So far I have never seen a "garlic" essential oil among essential oils...
'Essential oils' is a category in itself, with a background and tradition. Maybe you can look for garlic essence instead. It is sold as cosmetic, seasoning, medicine and pesticide (business as usual: snake oil for everything!)

You can look for 'garlic spray' too, as (weak) pesticide: I doubt it would harm rabbits.
Since there are also DIY recipes you might try to mix it with some chili too
If the eye of the rabbits starts to glow red in the dark then tune down the chili o0)

How funny! I suppose that then, if like Elmer Fudd, you decided to eat the pesky wabbits, they would already be seasoned. . .

As a gardener, I can say that none of the spray-on things work well. They get washed off or the pests (whether vertebrate or invertebrate) adapt. So I think I'll continue growing garlic next to my peas (about the only vegetable item which I am concerned about). Luckily no one has tried to gift me with essential oils so no disposal problems.

Likes Rive
Back