What to do with all this scrap?

• Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date
In summary, the author took apart a variety of electronics and tried to figure out how to use them. He has some engineering experience, but is still in high school. He wants to create a battery station to power small electronics in the event of a power outage. He also has some parts that he can use to build this station.
Stephenk53
I have taken apart a few electronics and I am unsure of what to do with them. I have very little engineering experience (I am in high school and only recently became interested) so I do not want to do something too complex. And if the circuit slowly damages any of the electronics I am fine with that as long as I can get practice in by making something. One thing I do want to try is create a rechargeable battery station to power small electronics in the event of losing power. Anyway here is a list of the things I took apart.

VCR
Printer
Flash camera (I have two, one of which has not been taken apart yet)
Computer mouse (not taken apart yet)
A Video player
Two hair dryers
some power supplies
A battery operated drill(mostly intact/ can be remade, has broken charger)

I also have a spare car phone charger that is intact

So if you guys have ideas as to what I could make or how to create the battery station mentioned above please let me know

Likes dlgoff
Engineering news on Phys.org
The drill motor should be able to be turned into a generator, if you have a hand crank. Then some way to store the energy (in it's own battery, maybe?). You'll need some voltage regulator to keep the output constant (5 volts for USB powered phones). That'd be a good start. Do you have a multimeter?

The car charger could act as your regulator

How about making a breadboard with power supply ?

A couple of these mounted to a surface with power supplies below is handy for experimenting.
2157693.jpg

I put a couple on a plastic office letter tray.

You'll want +5, +and - 12, maybe - 5 volts too. Build in a voltmeter.

Attachments

• 2157693.jpg
    2157693.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 449
Stephenk53 said:
I have taken apart a few electronics and I am unsure of what to do with them.
What you don't use now might come in handy years from now. Keep on collecting parts and you'll be able to do something like I did with my collectables.
See my beauty thread that has evolved over the years.

Likes sophiecentaur, scottdave and jim hardy
I just got my Make: magazine in the mail yesterday. There is an article about what to salvage from old equipment. Maybe they will have an online version. So.e examples for the VCR are _ rotary encoder from the head, linear actuators, springs, DC motors, timing circuit.

1. What is the best way to dispose of scrap materials?

The best way to dispose of scrap materials depends on the type of material. Some options include recycling, reusing, or donating. It is important to research the proper disposal methods for each specific material to minimize environmental impact.

2. Can scrap materials be sold for profit?

Yes, depending on the type and condition of the scrap material, it can be sold to scrap yards or recycling centers for profit. However, the profit may vary and it is important to research the current market value of the material before attempting to sell it.

3. How can scrap materials be repurposed?

Scrap materials can be repurposed in a variety of ways, such as using old fabric scraps for crafting or using scrap metal to create sculptures. The possibilities for repurposing scrap materials are endless and can be a fun and creative way to reduce waste.

4. Is it better to recycle or reuse scrap materials?

Both recycling and reusing scrap materials have their benefits. Recycling helps to conserve resources and reduce pollution, while reusing can save money and reduce waste. It is important to consider the specific material and its condition when deciding whether to recycle or reuse.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when dealing with scrap materials?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when handling scrap materials, especially those that may be sharp or contain hazardous materials. Wear protective gear such as gloves and eyewear and handle materials with caution to avoid injury or exposure to harmful substances.