What type of electrical contact joint is this?

In summary, the wires in this electric iron are in a terrible condition, and need to be replaced. The wires can be crimped using other tools, but there is a special tool designed to make sure these crimps are made correctly. If the crimp is done properly, then soldering does not improve reliability.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
While working on an old electric iron, I found this joint in the wires:

20190315_190536.jpg

Any idea what this joint is? Does it have a special name?

The wires are in a horrible condition, so I have to change them. How can I build this joint by myself? Or are such wires readily available in the market?

Attachments

• 20190315_190536.jpg
    20190315_190536.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 746
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn
Engineering news on Phys.org
The metal piece is called a spade lug. It comes with the part on the left opened up. You slip the wires into the open part on the left and then crimp it shut. For better reliability you can then solder it together if you like.

Likes Wrichik Basu
phyzguy said:
The metal piece is called a spade lug. It comes with the part on the left opened up. You slip the wires into the open part on the left and then crimp it shut. For better reliability you can then solder it together if you like.
Thanks.

Its called a double crimp spade connector.
One crimp captures the insulation the other crimp captures the bare wire.
Those in your image were poorly made.
The one on top has the wire too far into the crimp, while the one on the bottom does not have the wire sufficiently into the crimp.
The insulation should be cut to just protrude through the first crimp, and the bare wire should protrude just through the second crimp portion.

In the US these are available at any hardware store or electrical supply, along with the proper crimping tool.
These can be crimped using other tools but, there is a special tool designed to make sure these crimps are made correctly. Care should be taken to not over-crimp the one holding the insulation; and to tightly crimp the bare wire for good contact. The portion of the bare wire may also be soldered to the connector after crimping if desired, to insure a low resistance contact.

BTW- If that wire is subjected to intense heat, a high temperature insulated wire should be used; not a rubber compounded insulation.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic, Wrichik Basu and phyzguy
AZFIREBALL said:
Its called a double crimp spade connector.
One crimp captures the insulation the other crimp captures the bare wire.
Those in your image were poorly made.
The one on top has the wire too far into the crimp, while the one on the bottom does not have the wire sufficiently into the crimp.
The insulation should be cut to just protrude through the first crimp, and the bare wire should protrude just through the second crimp portion.

In the US these are available at any hardware store or electrical supply, along with the proper crimping tool.
These can be crimped using other tools but, there is a special tool designed to make sure these crimps are made correctly. Care should be taken to not over-crimp the one holding the insulation; and to tightly crimp the bare wire for good contact. The portion of the bare wire may also be soldered to the connector after crimping if desired, to insure a low resistance contact.

BTW- If that wire is subjected to intense heat, a high temperature insulated wire should be used; not a rubber compounded insulation.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware of the double crimp function.

phyzguy said:
For better reliability you can then solder it together if you like.
If the crimp is done properly (as noted, not like this one), then soldering does not improve reliability.

Likes Wrichik Basu, nsaspook and Rive
Good point by @AZFIREBALL.
TGGT (Teflon-Glass-Glass-Teflon) insulated wire ought to do.
MGT (Mica-Glass-Teflon) can operate at even higher temperatures, but the mica makes it more fragile.

Look for spade terminals made for high temperature operation. Regular ones are tinned copper; high temp parts are usually a nickel alloy.

High temp connectors require more force to crimp correctly. Sophisticated tools featuring interchangeable dies and other amenities are available, but something along the lines of a Thomas & Betts model WT111M will do the job.

Likes Wrichik Basu
DaveE said:
If the crimp is done properly (as noted, not like this one), then soldering does not improve reliability.

If the crimp is done properly the soldering can actually reduce reliability.

BoB

Note there may be several different sizes of lug, and 'Murphy's Law' makes it probable those in a 'Handy Dandy Budget Set With Crimper Tool' will so be the other size...

FWIW, as you've not used crimpers before, please get enough lugs to practise on your stock wire. Budget 'scissor' crimpers are okay in skilled hands, but a double-jointed ratchet model is far, far more reliable...

As ever, 'Due Care, Please' ??

Likes Wrichik Basu
rbelli1 said:

BoB
Why is this? The only thing I can come up with is that the soldered part of the wire is stiffer, creating a stress riser where the wire is not soldered.

I have also heard that soldered wire is not suitable for screw clamps, since the solder creeps under pressure and loosens the joint.

DaveE said:
rbelli1 said:

What about tinning the wire before the crimp - recommended or not?
Thanks.

Guineafowl said:
The only thing I can come up with is that the soldered part of the wire is stiffer, creating a stress riser where the wire is not soldered.

Exactly that

256bits said:
What about tinning the wire before the crimp - recommended or not?

The problem with that is that the solder is generally very soft so small stresses to the joint will cause additional changes to the shape of the wire. This will tend to cause the joint to wiggle loose. The copper wire will spring back from those stresses. This is the same problem with tinning wire before installing in screw terminals and using copper only screw terminals with aluminum house wiring.

BoB

Likes krater, Wrichik Basu, Asymptotic and 1 other person
these two crimps as shown, are extremely poor
specially if carrying mains voltages/currents

davenn said:
these two crimps as shown, are extremely poor
specially if carrying mains voltages/currents
Yeah, they are in very bad condition. The appliance itself is about 10 years old. The insulation of the wires is coming off the wires in bits and pieces. And yes, they are supposed to carry voltage from the mains. In fact, the neutral and the Earth were shorted due to wearing out of the insulation.

First I'll have to check whether the iron would work at all (testing continuity in the circuit of the heating element). Only then shall I put in new wires. Otherwise it will be a waste of money.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, davenn and Nik_2213
Wrichik Basu said:
First I'll have to check whether the iron would work at all (testing continuity in the circuit of the heating element). Only then shall I put in new wires. Otherwise it will be a waste of money.
sounds like a good plan :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
testing continuity in the circuit of the heating element
If it is about mains then just continuity won't be enough. You have to check if it is shorted to the casing/earth anywhere and if the resistance is still within range (both cold and hot). Also, you have to be sure that it is assembled properly, so it is still up to standards.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is an electrical contact joint?

An electrical contact joint is a connection between two or more conductive materials that allows for the flow of electricity.

2. What are the different types of electrical contact joints?

There are several types of electrical contact joints, including soldered, crimped, welded, and bolted joints.

3. How do I determine the type of electrical contact joint?

The type of electrical contact joint can be determined by examining the method of connection, such as soldering, crimping, welding, or bolting.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing an electrical contact joint?

Some important factors to consider when choosing an electrical contact joint include the type of materials being connected, the level of electrical current and voltage, and the environmental conditions the joint will be exposed to.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type of electrical contact joint?

The advantages and disadvantages of each type of electrical contact joint vary depending on the specific application and materials being used. Generally, soldered joints offer a strong connection but can be difficult to repair, crimped joints are easy to install but may not be as durable, welded joints are very strong but require specialized equipment, and bolted joints allow for easy disassembly but may not be as secure as other types.