What Type of Workbench is Needed for a Press Machine?

In summary: These forces do not transfer to the ground.In summary, when considering the force generated by an automatic press machine, it is important to understand that the force is contained within the press structure and does not transfer to the ground. This is due to the application of Newtons third law, with the force generated from the ram/servo being equal and opposite to the force applied to the work material. Therefore, the strength of the workbench must only be able to withstand the weight of the press and workpiece, and does not need to be able to handle the force generated by the press. The design of presses also takes into account moments and loads to ensure that the internal members are able to handle the force applied by the press.
JoshKe
TL;DR Summary
Application of Newtons third law to automatic press machines.
I have recently become interested in automatic press machines, specifically an electro servo model. The press is capable of 5 tons (10,000 lb) of force. My question revolves around understanding what type of workbench I need to put this on top of.

I understand the workbench must at least be able to withstand the weight of the press. My thinking is that the force generated from the ram/servo will transfer to the work material and also through to the bottom of the press. This force will then transfer to the legs of the press, through the workbench, and eventually to the ground. This all from a combination of Newtons third law. Is this true or is the force somehow contained within just the press? If this is true, I feel like the strength of concrete is not enough to handle some pressures onset by say a 20 ton press with small feet.

I feel that there is probably a lot of design that goes into the structure of presses in terms of moments and loads that create stresses in internal members. However, at some point that downward force has to be met by a normal force equal and opposite that eventually comes from the ground otherwise the press would accelerate when an external force or energy(electric motor) is applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JoshKe said:
Summary:: Application of Newtons third law to automatic press machines.

My thinking is that the force generated from the ram/servo will transfer to the work material and also through to the bottom of the press.
So the way a bench press is designed the top part of the press pushes down on the work piece and the bottom part of the press pushes up on the work piece with nearly the same force. So the only force which goes through the bottom of the press to the bench is just the weight of the press and the work piece. If you consider the “system” to be the press and the workpiece together then the upwards and downwards forces are internal and do not affect the bench.

A press is similar to a bench vice with two opposed jaws. The force applied by the vice jaws to hold the workpiece, are contained within the vice. The forces applied by a press to the workpiece are contained within the press structure.

1. What is the ideal size for a workbench for a press machine?

The size of the workbench for a press machine will depend on the size of the press machine itself. Generally, the workbench should be at least 2-3 feet wider and longer than the press machine to provide enough space for maneuvering and tool storage.

2. What materials should be used for a workbench for a press machine?

The materials used for a workbench for a press machine should be sturdy and durable to withstand the weight and pressure of the machine. Common materials include hardwood, steel, and heavy-duty plywood. It is also recommended to have a non-slip surface to prevent accidents.

3. How much weight can a workbench for a press machine hold?

The weight capacity of a workbench for a press machine will vary depending on the materials used and the design of the workbench. However, a good rule of thumb is to choose a workbench that can hold at least 50% more weight than the press machine itself to ensure stability and safety.

4. Should the workbench be adjustable for different press machine sizes?

It is not necessary for a workbench to be adjustable for different press machine sizes. However, if you plan on using different press machines on the same workbench, it may be beneficial to have an adjustable height feature to accommodate different machine sizes.

5. Is it important to have storage space on the workbench for a press machine?

Having storage space on the workbench for a press machine is highly recommended. This will allow for easy access to tools and materials needed for the press machine, making the work process more efficient. It is also important to keep the work area clutter-free for safety reasons.