What USB adaptor is suitable for a smartwatch?

• Thread starter Shervan360
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charger
Shervan360
Hello,

I bought a smartwatch and it does not have a charger. The capacity battery is 230mAh. In the manual, they wrote input parameter should be 5V = 500mA.
If I choose a charger with high output power (15W (5V/3A), (5V/2.4A), 20W, or 65W), will the watch's battery be damaged?
Does the charger with fast charging technology and Power Delivery damage the smartwatch?
Please see the attached image. (The first image is from the smartwatch manual and the last three are Kingstar USB adaptors)
I don't know what USB charger/adaptor to buy.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_7939.jpeg
    IMG_7939.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24 074740.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 074740.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24 074459.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 074459.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot 2023-12-24 083017.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 083017.png
    11 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
As long as the adapter is puts out the normal 5 Volts DC (which USB chargers do), you will be fine -- the watch will draw whatever current it needs up to the limit of the adapter.

Look at it this way: take a look in the fuse box or breaker box where you live. You will find most of the fuses or breakers rated at 15 or 20 Amps. That is the maximum current they will allow before they break the circuit. If you have only a single 60 Watt light bulb turned on, the bulb will only draw the current it needs for 60 Watts.

The current rating on the adapters is the maximum current they CAN supply while keeping their output at 5 Volts -- just like the fuses or circuit breakers, the current rating of a Supply is the maximum available.

For Loads, like your watch or a light bulb, the current rating is the maximum it will ever Need to operate correctly.

The hard part may be finding a cable with a connector to fit the watch!Cheers,
Tom

Likes Shervan360
I suppose you can be talking about USB chargers, not any chargers - and as far as I understand these have their own way of doing things.

They are "intelligent" - that is, they start by "talking" to the connected device, asking for the capabilities. If they can't get confirmation "hit me with the high current", they will somehow limit delivered current to just 500 mA, which is a standard USB specification. All higher currents are extensions to the standard, and won't be produced unless specifically allowed by the charged/powered device.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G, berkeman and Shervan360
Borek said:
They are "intelligent" - that is, they start by "talking" to the connected device, asking for the capabilities.
You are right, there. I just bought an Apple Watch which has a magnetic charger that holds the watch whilst charging and they say it needs a 40W charger. Then, I notice that most / all new laptops seems to use a USBC socket but specify high charger requirements. That stuff is very clever.
In the distant past, I remember suspecting that hp equipment would communicate with each other because they all seemed to agree with each other to within one sig fig. (This was pre-bluetooth etc)

1. What type of USB adapter do I need for my smartwatch?

The type of USB adapter required for your smartwatch depends on the charging interface of the watch. Most smartwatches use a USB-C or micro USB adapter for charging. Check your smartwatch's specifications or user manual to confirm the correct type.

2. Can I use any USB charger with my smartwatch?

While many USB chargers may fit, it's important to use a charger that complies with your smartwatch's power requirements. Using an incompatible charger could result in slow charging or damage to your device. Always use a charger that matches the output specifications recommended by the manufacturer.

3. Is it better to use an official charger or can I use a third-party charger?

It is generally recommended to use the official charger provided by the smartwatch manufacturer to ensure optimal charging and to avoid any potential damage. However, third-party chargers that are certified and meet the manufacturer's specifications can also be used safely.

4. How do I know if my USB adapter is fast charging compatible with my smartwatch?

Check your smartwatch's specifications for fast charging capabilities. If your smartwatch supports fast charging, ensure that the USB adapter is also fast charging compatible and meets the required amperage and voltage for your device. Look for adapters that are certified for fast charging.

5. What should I do if my smartwatch is not charging with the USB adapter?

If your smartwatch is not charging, first ensure that the adapter and charging cable are correctly connected and in good working condition. Check for any damage to the connectors. If everything seems fine but your watch still won't charge, try using a different charger and cable to determine if the issue is with the adapter or the watch itself. If the problem persists, consult the manufacturer's support for further assistance.